Scabby wheels - photoshop help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Noticed today when washing the car that the wheels are getting a bit scabby.
Car was bought in Nov/Dec 2015 and I think the wheels had been refurbished before purchase.
They are part painted/part diamond cut.
It looks like that the tyre fitters levers have damaged the lacquer coat and corrosion is now starting around the rims.
The diamond cut/grey painted look is difficult to keep clean from the bonded on brake dust.
I'm considering having the wheels refurbished and painted black.
So, number one, can anyone help with a photoshopped image of the wheels recoloured black?
Secondly, opinions please
- will I spoil the look of the car?
- will black be just as difficult to maintain as the diamond cut finish?

i wouldn't do it ,a classy car like that wouldn't suit black wheels , just imo !

There is black trim on the door mirror mounts, a strip about 20-25mm wide each side of the windscreen & about 75mm wide over the windscreen on the air deflector

Hi Piff,

Not very skilfully done, but it might give you the idea...

Attachments

• Black wheels.jpg
    Black wheels.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 75
I'm in the process of debating colour change for the wheels on my 2009 W211. Gotta say not a great fan of black wheels so I'm with other posters on that. How about a darker grey which is what I'm considering for my W211.

I'm going to visit the Co that will be doing the work and placing a couple of their sample wheels next to the car to gat a better idea how the finished colour will play out.

FWIW did hear a while ago that diamond cut creates problems, the finish is too smooth to give the paint enough grip to the wheel and that's why they flake quicker than regular finishes and it can only be re-finished a couple of times. You might want to do some research on that.

Please for the love of God ,don't paint the wheels on that lovely car black.

Back to the drawing board then. I guess there isn't a simple solution.I have to accept scabby wheels and have them refurbished from time to time.:crazy:
With the AMG style though, the rims can only be re-faced a few times before reaching the AMG logo:(

Back to the drawing board then. I guess there isn't a simple solution.I have to accept scabby wheels and have them refurbished from time to time.:crazy:
With the AMG style though, the rims can only be re-faced a few times before reaching the AMG logo:(

Why would you need to refurb the wheels, just don't kerb them and keep them clean and polished.

Why would you need to refurb the wheels, just don't kerb them and keep them clean and polished.

corrosion of wheels starting around outer edges where lacquer damaged by tyre fitters, also where stone chipped.

How about having them painted silver instead of diamond cutting the faces?

How about having them painted silver instead of diamond cutting the faces?

That is an option. I guess with any finish though it is down to the care of tyre fitters not to damage the coating when fitting tyres & wheel nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom