Scan Tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joderest

Car
2003 ML270 Silver
Hi All
As it seems i could be charged quite a bit just to have the code read if i have faults, decided to investigate buying my own tool.
Saw this on line ICARSOFT I980
Would this, talk to ML270, see faults and clear on all ECU's.
Would it also talk to our Mini Cooper ?
Its just over £100, so would only have to use it once to pay for itself.

Any commets !!!!

The Mini may benefit more from Icarsofts BMW tool?

There are very mixed reviews on iCarsoft's support, when it goes wrong, which seems to be quite a bit of the time.

I bought there BMW tool and the Mercedes one and have had issues with both. Some are down to the poor interpretation of the GUI and it's layout, which is not intuitive.

Switch on
Select Geographic Region
Select Manufacturer
Select Model
Select Engine size
Select Automatic or Manual !!!! Now you may be mistaken at this point for thinking that Automatic or Manual refers to to your cars transmission? No it does not. Despite being placed in the set up menu for the car, it refers to how you want the tool to scan the car >automatically or manually?

Then we have "Zero Errors Found" when you are looking at an error on the car. It will ask if you wish to clear the zero errors it has found? Say yes and it clears the error on the car?

So it works, Captain, but not always in the manner in which we expect it to.

Hi i have a ICARSOFT it scans and clears faults on my W204 , i’ve found it to be very useful when diagnosing a eco stop/start fault on my car , but it’s no star diagnostics tool .
Unfortunately it will not talk to you mini , it will talk to MB cars only

Thanks, seems the way forwards as i have just paid £60 to have a SAS fault deleted, which seems to have solved the issue. Believe it or not, our old mini has never needed any reading in 86,000 miles, been as good as gold. Dam, said it now, its bound to go wrong !!!!!!.
I will look to invest in a code reader, saw this one at a tad more money ICARSOFT MB11 I980, which is only for Merc's and is a better tool, they say.

i just bought the mb2 for £136 , it reads all mercs in benz mode also other cars in obd2 mode. hth .

ok, sounds the right one, just got to sell my old discovery to release some funds.

I use an iCarsoft i810 bought for about £70, works great, resets fault codes, aimed at the diy market more so than more expensive models.

I have an Icarsoft MB2. It does the MB specific tests but it will work as a generic ODBC code reader on more or less any car. I've read codes from our Yaris.

It does sound as if will do what I want. Just got to convince better half about buying more tools.
" it will save us money". I say
" you always say that" she will say.

Perhaps if I say it will help her beloved Mini as well

Force a problem on her mini. Then plug in the scan tool of your choice.
"There!" you can say "The <insert scan tool here> has found your problem"!
Now you can proceed to fix it and let her know that not only has it save the cost of purchase but also the inconvenience of missing her latest hair appointment.

Man maths in action.

...or it could backfire, and she would say "my mini is very sick.... get me a new one!"

Reactions: Ted
The Mini may benefit more from Icarsofts BMW tool?

There are very mixed reviews on iCarsoft's support, when it goes wrong, which seems to be quite a bit of the time.

I bought there BMW tool and the Mercedes one and have had issues with both. Some are down to the poor interpretation of the GUI and it's layout, which is not intuitive.

Switch on
Select Geographic Region
Select Manufacturer
Select Model
Select Engine size
Select Automatic or Manual !!!! Now you may be mistaken at this point for thinking that Automatic or Manual refers to to your cars transmission? No it does not. Despite being placed in the set up menu for the car, it refers to how you want the tool to scan the car >automatically or manually?

Then we have "Zero Errors Found" when you are looking at an error on the car. It will ask if you wish to clear the zero errors it has found? Say yes and it clears the error on the car?

So it works, Captain, but not always in the manner in which we expect it to.

What do you expect?

Looks that their website was written by the same people who write the Daily Mail.... have a look a this:

iCarsoft MB II for Mercedes-Benz / Sprinter / Smart_Benz Scan Tools

The Queen's English..... not. :(

I have a setup, I am considering selling - it's a [clone] multiplexer with a good selection of leads, and a Panasonic Toughbook with software installed.
I haven't used it much, and to be perfectly honest, can't get along with Windows (despite dressing it up as a macOS).
I've upgraded the Toughbook to the maximum supported RAM and fitted a 120GB SSD, and a new screen protector.
The multiplexer and main leads are nicely fitted in a light, foam-lined case.

Please let me know if this is of interest, I'll get the details, etc to you by PM (conversation).

Found a pic, taken back in June, when I set this up:

34678459190_a6fc75f0a6_o.jpg

Well, I have bought a icarsoft MB2, cost was 150 delivered. Arrives Monday.
I wonder if it will tell me what's wrong with my rear heater fan as it does not work.

the ml270 are prone to the small plastic jog wheels on the flaps stripping teeth and therefore not moving air flow.

I have an Autel DS708. It's a pretty nice system and can activate certain modules and perform relearn functions. It's a nice tool that can be used on any car. It's a bit more expensive than an icarsoft but has more than paid for itself.

Thanks regarding heater, the flaps move ok, but I cannot hear fan at all.
Knowing history of car, I doubt it's ever been used as PO never had passengers, and he had it from new. I wonder if it's just seized up.

I have a setup, I am considering selling - it's a [clone] multiplexer with a good selection of leads, and a Panasonic Toughbook with software installed.
I haven't used it much, and to be perfectly honest, can't get along with Windows (despite dressing it up as a macOS).
I've upgraded the Toughbook to the maximum supported RAM and fitted a 120GB SSD, and a new screen protector.
The multiplexer and main leads are nicely fitted in a light, foam-lined case.

Please let me know if this is of interest, I'll get the details, etc to you by PM (conversation).

Found a pic, taken back in June, when I set this up:

34678459190_a6fc75f0a6_o.jpg

I may be interested in this (if it is still open to offers). Will it only do MB or would it cope with other makes - BMW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom