Scratched Paintwork. Poor quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E280wilson

Car
Bmw 435d
Today I took my car back the dealer to have the small painted panel replaced on the door. It was scratched from new when I collected it. They did try to polish it out but with no success. The new one is just the same. The service manager wasn't impressed. His own company car (new C class) was next to mine and so he ran his finger nail up it and this left a scratch that wouldn't run off.
Has anyone else had this problem. I've told them to leave it until after Xmas as I shall see if the Detailer can remove the marks before applying the ceramic coating.

Do you mean the gloss black infill panel between the front and rear door windows? If so, this is always relatively easy to mark.

Yes that the ones. Considering the hardness of the paintwork it seem like poor quality. Especially as the new one out of a packet is marked by it wrapping.

The paintwork on the rest of the car has an extremely hard laquer, which is not used on those infill panels. A detailer (or anyone competent with a polishing mop) will be able to polish out any light scratches or minor blemishes on the black infill panels.

All you need is a DA (Dual Action) polisher with a finishing pad and start with a finishing polish and then try a slight cutting polish, if that doesn't work. If the scratch is deep enough to get a nail into the groove, it maybe too deep. Furthermore, over time the wash process will inflict some swirl marks onto this panel. You may want to leave it and then have your vehicle detailed at a later point in time.

Do check with a detailer (Detailed - on here) and are you able to put a picture up? I reckon, if you can hardly see it, it will polish out.

There not deep and should polish out. The ceramic coating should help.
I was trying to raise a point on quality. This is a heavily used area as it's probably touched every time you shut the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom