Scratched Windscreen (Repairable? Or Replace?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andylinney

Car
Volvo c70 T5 / BMW 316Sport
Can a scratched / scuffed screen be repaired or am I looking at a replacement. Have a few scratches that are deep and in one case look like a crack. Can Gavin from Autoglass fill them with his special resin I wonder?

Assuming you are insured, the cost of calling someone out to repair something might be zero. If the glass is cracked rather than being chipped then eventually the crack will get longer. I had a crack about 1cm long that stayed that way for 3 years and then one journey in cold weather it migrated across the whole screen in 60 minutes. Excess being say £75, insurance company would allow new screen to be fitted without affecting NCD (so they told me back then). If it affects your field of vision, pay £75. My 2c.

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail then it cannot be removed sucessfully without removing too much glass. It can be done in theory but you weaken the glass and also get distorted vision through it.

(crikey, my second post in ages and both of them in less than a day!)

Regards,
Portzy.

Thanks everyone, I'll check my insurance tonight as based on what's been said here I'm looking at a new screen it seems.

Funnily enough it'll be the 2nd screen in as many weeks as the Landrover had a new one after being chipped and cracked by a stone coming off a lorry on the M6 at Carlisle. Nevermind.

Insurance jobby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom