SE P990 Vs Nokia 9500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
I have a 9500 on orange - and its carp - unreliable, slow, painful to use (about 12 button pushes to search for wifi hotspots - cant make a shortcut) and the bluetooth handsfree on my car (built in to the stereo / voice activated satnav / drive computer) is apalling - noone can hear me over 20mph (and no - its not that noisy :p )

So - as my contract is due for renewal, I want a P990 (i think) on vodafone (as I have about 25,000 shares in them, plus GF is on voda :D ) - has anyone got one / tried one etc etc...

Opinions? Anything better? (want bluetooth, wifi, qwerty, touchscreen, and 'useable' as a phone unlike a blackberry)

O2 XDA Mini / QTEK 9100 (on vodafone) - has everything that you want, very pleased with mine, but can't give you comparison with the P990 - phone functionality might be slightly more 'phone-like' on the SE, but still pretty functional on the XDA. Also has push-mail facility (like Blackberry)
so best of both worlds.

Swapped the 9500 for this (which I agree with you, did not live up to my expectations!), and its a world of difference.

Test drive, and see what you think :)

S.

im reading geek.com 's review - they have skype loaded onto a mobile pc / mobile so that you dont use your minutes up, on a mobile, talking on broadband... lol

The new Nokia E61 is another possible contender, due out on Vodafone this week, so i am told. Has WiFi and as its nokia the phone functionality should be very good.

But as the Nokia has no camera I think I will be going the Qtek 9100 route, it is due to be back in stock with Vodafone this week....they say.

When is the release of the SE P990? this will be my next upgrade from P800

Well, according to the blurb on the intranet for the customer services teams at work, it's due to go out on Vodafone's Business tariffs sometime in late June, early July. No word as yet on the consumer market.

Needless to say, I'm watching the stock systems and internet pages like a hawk, and bribing the necessary people to get one as soon as possible.

Last edited:
It keeps getting delayed, last I heard (March) it was due for release end of this month (May). Haven't checked in the last couple of weeks, but am also hanging on to upgrade my P900.

DolphiN let us know when you hear something - thanks.

Well, mid July has come and gone...and no P990i :mad:

Currently showing availability in late August.

Typical.. Went to ask in Carphone warehouse.. they had not even got it listed

Still waiting.. any news on prices?

Bl hell, knew nothing of this. I like SE stuff. Had a P900 and the two previous modles, switched to a BB just over a year ago and upgraded last week to a 7130G (free O2) - it suits me, as the main requirement is email on the hoof and that definitely works. Take a look - they are fine for email/internet/phone.

A complete Flintstone like me, even managed to plumb the new BB into my email accounts.

When the P800 came out it was hugely delayed - seems to be case here, too.

From experience, avoid anything running Windows Mobile 5.x. It's full of bugs, crashes regularly and screws up the alarms from time to time so you have to do a full reset. Also activesync is a crock of s***e. Both my housemate and I have had problems with the Windows "experience" :mad:

I'd go for something symbian or linux based. Beware that Nokia screw over their symbian OS though so you have to run things compiled specially for Nokia phones (apparently).

Just my £0.02.

agatward said:
Beware that Nokia screw over their symbian OS though so you have to run things compiled specially for Nokia phones (apparently).
That is a bit harsh - Symbian OS does not come with an UI, so the likes of Nokia and SE provides one and as such they also provide a Dev Kit to support their phones.

wongl said:
That is a bit harsh - Symbian OS does not come with an UI, so the likes of Nokia and SE provides one and as such they also provide a Dev Kit to support their phones.

Nokia use S60 / S90 (possibly some S80 too). Everyone else uses UIQ (which is more interoperable). As I understand it, you can't run UIQ binaries on S60/S90 and you can't run S60/S90 binaries on UIQ. Nokia are the only people I have found so far running non-UIQ Symbian OS.

I went for the Qtek 9100 - and am pretty happy with it.

I sync'd the 9500 to outlook, then sync'd outlook to 9100.. mostly worked - but several phone numbers came out as 'other' and therefore not listed on the 9100...

its locked up twice so far - reset fixed it.

abotu a gazillion times faster than the 9500, web surfing on WAP is about as fast as a 56k modem it seems - and when on wifi its just as fast as an old PII or thereabouts.

handwriting recognition is 80% there - but my handwriting is apalling. (almost as bad as my typing)

I see Expansys have got the SE 990i listed at £649.95.. ouch

Well, the first batch arrived at work a little while back, and were promptly sent straight back with some fairly major software issues, it seems.

Now looking at a provisional date of 8th Sept. for a working release...

Just ordered the 3G version with live sky sports on TV P990 £260 from Vodafone... Again 8th is the date quoted

Cool it's arrived a month late hopefully with all software issued ironed out. I can watch the sports news on the move.. fantastic. Now got to spend ages reading the thick booklet instructions

Will be interesting to see...currently the demo model in the staff shop (taken straight from retail stock) is crashing around 3 times in 15 minutes.

However, I have heard reports on the various forums that a couple of people have managed to get theirs to run stable. I'm tempted to see if I can blag one as a company phone, just been promoted and the office I'm working in is wireless, so no desk phones.

agatward said:
From experience, avoid anything running Windows Mobile 5.x. It's full of bugs, crashes regularly and screws up the alarms from time to time so you have to do a full reset. Also activesync is a crock of s***e. Both my housemate and I have had problems with the Windows "experience" :mad:

I'd go for something symbian or linux based. Beware that Nokia screw over their symbian OS though so you have to run things compiled specially for Nokia phones (apparently).

Just my £0.02.

Interesting, I've been a long time symbian user (psions) and then S60, then UIQ, and then windows 03 \ wm05, and I haven't looked back.

There is no way I would go back to the symbian stuff now, interestingly the first major improvement I noticed is activesync over the frankly crude sync software supplied with symbian phones.

Just my £0.02....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom