Seized Brake Bleed Screws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CaptMike1

Car
Mercedes C220 Avantgarde Estate
Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

Can only suggest what has worked for me in the past. Wire brush and off corrosion / crud from around the bleed screw. Then apply some penatrating fluid and let soak. Normally by this stage ive rounded off the spanner part. So I get a good quality set of molegrips on super hand hurting tight and then it normally shifts.

This has not worked once and in that case I had to remove the caliper and apply heat and freeze your nuts off plus the molegrips.

As said above but I use a hex socket (not the one with all the splines) to crack off the bleed nipple then use the spanner when bleeding. The hex socket doesn't allow for slippage

Last edited:
As said above but I use a hex socket (not the one with all the splines) to crack off the bleed nipple then use the spanner when bleeding. The hex socket doesn't allow for slippage

I would strongly recommend NOT using a socket - there is every likelihood of shearing off the bleed nipple.

I concur with the wire brush and penetrating fluid approach that has already been suggested and assuming that it hasn't been rounded off I would then use a small ring spanner.

I would strongly recommend NOT using a socket - there is every likelihood of shearing off the bleed nipple.

I concur with the wire brush and penetrating fluid approach that has already been suggested and assuming that it hasn't been rounded off I would then use a small ring spanner.

Ok fair point, i guess ive never experience a fully seized nipple so yeah potentially could shear it off. :thumb: Its a 1/4 inch socket i tend to use.

I use one of these, they are chunky and not failed me yet. That is providing it hasn't previously been rounded

s-l1600.jpg

Combine brake heat, corrosion and corrosive brake fluid and you have a recipe for thread seizure. Its one of these "how far can you go situations" but having applied a suitable level of torque with a well fitting spanner and failing its probably best to remove the caliper from the car before trying anything further-penetrating fluid or localised heat on the bench. Its one of these situations where slow and steady is your maxim as this video illustrates but check out the YouTUBE comments also for further tips and alternative methods . I would add its best to have a set of new breed screws at hand to replace the old ones when you eventually manage to free them off.

[YOUTUBE]qbg7tCcWwOg[/YOUTUBE]

Hello folks, may I thank you all for your very helpful replies,
Much Appreciated
Capt Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom