Self Enclosed Shower Cubicle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Hi Guys,

Completely revamping our ensuite next month and we need a completely self enclosed shower cubicle. Its going smack bang in the centre of the room.

Looking for something a little different/interesting... All the ones I can find are simply cubes with frosted glass...

Anyone know any good suppliers/manufacturers... Im trying to choose one before having to take time out to go to those bathstore type places.

Even that one must fit against a wall. The problem will be the plumbing and thus probably unlikely anyone makes what you describe.

Even that one must fit against a wall. The problem will be the plumbing and thus probably unlikely anyone makes what you describe.

True.
I know of no stand alone unsupported enclosure.
If you really want a shower enclosure that you can walk all the way around, then you will have to get a plumber/designer to build a special.
And THAT will be very expensive.

If you agree with the "less is more" approach, the best solution would be to turn the space into a wet room. Shower head in the ceiling, drain in the floor, controls wherever you want.

If you agree with the "less is more" approach, the best solution would be to turn the space into a wet room. Shower head in the ceiling, drain in the floor, controls wherever you want.

The problem (as I have experienced) with wet rooms is they get...wet. Fine when you are showering, but when you get dressed and then want to brush your teeth...the floor is wet.

The problem (as I have experienced) with wet rooms is they get...wet. Fine when you are showering, but when you get dressed and then want to brush your teeth...the floor is wet.

Omelettes and eggs... if you want the shower to be a centrepiece it's the only viable option. Depending on the space available, a wet room can be designed in such a way that all the oversplash is contained within an armspan, and effective drainage will take care of the rest.

Last edited:
It may be an idea to buy a shower tray and take it to a Glassmiths who should be able to manufacture something to suit.

Otherwise you will end up paying a fortune for quite a niche product.

Or as Mocas suggests, a wetroom may be a good idea.

I can have a stab if you want?

pm me your thoughts of style and budget and I will give you some options.

Steve

Something like this perhaps?

Luxury-And-Modern-Showers-New-For-2010-2.jpg

Luxury And Modern Showers – New For 2010 | Lyring.com

Jay

Two things to consider - where is the hot/cold water coming from (ie above or below) and where would you site the controls? I think that you can now get remote control showers (yes really) which would mean you could have a ceiling mounted waterfall head then the remote in the cubicle with you as long as water is above so to speak. We just installed two low-profile trays that were 25mm thick and by the time the floor is boarded with ply and tiled they are virtually flush - a lot simpler than a wetroom construction.

blimey..

Well the ideas was to run plumbing under the floor and up.

The idea for the shower was sort of like those fancy modern TV stands where the wires all hide in a central vein from which the shelves spout.. So on one side there would be a channel running up the middle from which only the shower head and tap would be visible.

I am sure I had seen a shower enclosure like this somewhere but maybe i made it up in my head.

The chimney for the house runs right through the middle of our ensuite, so the idea was/is to simply get rid of the chimney and put a free standing shower in its place allowing for more space for storage in the room.
However if the shower is going to be that expensive then it may be worth keeping two walls of the chimney and glazing the other two to create a custom enclosure pretty easily...

Too be honest

In the magazine 'picture' it looks great..... Give that a few showers and the glass isn't crystal clear, put your shower gel and other stuff in their and it will start to look a little naff in the middle of the room?

Sorry not for me it looks odd, would feel odd in the middle and cannot be a good use of space around it?

For around 1K Costco have a superb looking shower cubical (Normal wall location) with jets everywhere radio, coloured lights, seat?.....toaster....everything :)

There is always an alternative

hot_tub_barrel.jpg

I was thinking of frosted glass anyway..

Going to have a chat with the builder... further suggestions welcome!

Exactly nailed it.. but im not paying 3.5K.

Why not build a small stud wall in the middle of the room, put the pipework inside it, tile it nicely, and put a 3-sided shower cubicle against it?

You could even put a vanity sink and mirror on the other side of the stud wall...

Looks - $ million. Costs, £ cheap.

Why not build a small stud wall in the middle of the room, put the pipework inside it, tile it nicely, and put a 3-sided shower cubicle against it?

You could even put a vanity sink and mirror on the other side of the stud wall...

Looks - $ million. Costs, £ cheap.

That would work...and some glass bricks in the stud wall above the sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom