Sellers Beware!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KNU7S

Car
1991 R129 500SL Mercedes, 2002 ML270cdi, 2004 Freelander
I have been selling my 2 Mercedes 500SL's these last few days and yesterday I had a very nasty experience and wanted to share this with you.

I listed the cars on Gumtree and had the usual stupid questions! however I agreed a price with someone who was interested in the one car and they arranged to view.

Now this car had been standing for quite sometime and was described as a car bought for parts.

They arrived in force and were all over the car, I was asked about the spare wheel, which I showed them we went on a run up the track and got it to temperature and when they checked the coolant there was lots of oil in there!

I was knocked down on the price they paid and they went off with the car

This morning my neighbour showed me his CCTV and you can see me showing 2 of the guys the spare wheel and the other is under the bonnet pouring fluid in the expansion tank!.

Feel gutted and stupid! I wanted to share this as I have bought and sold many cars and think I am intelligent not to fall for this type of thing.

I will not name names as that could have all sorts of repercussions, but please be careful!

Did you get a receipt for the car etc? You could report it as stolen?

Although Im guessing that would land you in trouble?
Might be worth posting the Reg and VIN number so at least it can be tracked should it resurface

Last edited:
Did you get a receipt for the car etc? You could report it as stolen?

Although Im guessing that would land you in trouble?
Might be worth posting the Reg and VIN number so at least it can be tracked should it resurface

I got a bill of sale and the logbook signed, I have all his details and his email address also.

To be honest I have put it down to a life lesson, I could get the police involved but at the end of the day it could be a lot of hassle. which I could really do without.

I just wanted to make people aware so they don't get stung like me, it is a common trick I have been told so check the coolant before and after and during a viewing!

I guess that is probably the best way to look at it.
Are you not tempted to upload the video to youtube? Or at least mail it to the chap

I would love to put all the details on here but I would probably get in trouble myself,

Then I don't see any reason why you'd get in any kind of trouble for helping other members on here in potentially not becoming victims of this scam

Then I don't see any reason why you'd get in any kind of trouble for helping other members on here in potentially not becoming victims of this scam

If they are then it could be hassle I felt personally threatened buy them and still feeling anxious after the experience.

I don't get it. What exactly have they done?

When I was not looking they put oil in the expansion tank so that after the test drive the signs of a failed head gasket prompting them to screw me on the price!

If you felt threatened and pressurised to drop the price, that's actually pretty ****ty

A bit more serious than a scam

this is a crime call the police immediately and report obtaining goods by deciption u have car reg and their mobile no give to the police they can grab both and u get your car back the money will not go to them but the police under proceeds of crime.

your cctv will be used in court and stop this crime in its track

It could even be classed as robbery, even though some monies were paid, there's still the fact they used menace to dishonestly appropriate property. Very loose definition, but it kinda fits

I understand that you feel threatened. Shame because these sort of people should be reported as you have enough info for the police to prosecute them with the cctv.

This is sad and I'm sorry to hear you felt threatened. No one should ever feel like that, especially at home selling their car!

Regarding it being a crime though, I'm not sure about that as you could of simply said 'no'. Yes, it's morally wrong, but most people (not everyone) will try and be firm on the price or play little games to favour them and get a deal.

Keep your chin up and move on, it won't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom