Selling my long-owned and much-loved Honda

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lisa110rry

Car
1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV (the latter gone but not forgotten)
Hello chaps. I've agreed a sale for my much-loved Honda CR-V. Apologies for not being about on here for a while, but I was feeling a bit low because of losing my job due to company relocation from Preston to Kirkby Lonsdale and not having the little green SLK on the road. Anyway, I've decided we don't need two 4wds in the family now I'm "retired", well, semi-retired anyway. Can anyone help me with words for a receipt for my Honda that doesn't leave me open to come back if the dear old car develops a fault after I no longer have it?

Thank you Tricky and thank you Ant, replied to your kind personal message. Really looking forward to focussing on the green meanie in my retirement!

Welcome back !

As above : “ Private sale : sold as seen , tried & tested . No warranty given or implied “

There is a good pro forma receipt on the AA website, which covers all these aspects and more. Might be of help to you.

D

Understand your desire to cover yourself regarding "come back," but there is no legal comeback after a private sale for an old car like this. Even if a wheel comes off as the buyer drives home. People can be really hesitant about selling cars but really you shouldn't - it's down to the buyer to look objectively at the car and make their own decision.

As it's a Honda, have to say the chances are the wretched thing will go on to 250,000 miles if it's serviced properly. Hondas normally only get scrapped when people dink them or because they can't find someone to cough up more than the scrap value of the car.

Sorry to hear about the job change but enjoy the new life - there's more to life than earning enough money to run the third car.

Thanks all! Yes, I'm quite enjoying "retirement", although I still get a call to do a bit of consulting now and then. I've been focussing on getting out and about walking lately - joined the U3A walking group and in the past couple of days have been delivering Yellow Pages books in a really lovely local village - the one that was famously flooded when the river Yarrow burst its banks on Boxing Day a couple of years ago. Anyhooooo, time to walk the dogs!

As it's a Honda, have to say the chances are the wretched thing will go on to 250,000 miles if it's serviced properly. Hondas normally only get scrapped when people dink them or because they can't find someone to cough up more than the scrap value of the car.
Or if it's a Jazz when the gearbox fails, writing off otherswise low mileage and well maintained cars.

Thanks all! Yes, I'm quite enjoying "retirement", although I still get a call to do a bit of consulting now and then. I've been focussing on getting out and about walking lately - joined the U3A walking group and in the past couple of days have been delivering Yellow Pages books in a really lovely local village - the one that was famously flooded when the river Yarrow burst its banks on Boxing Day a couple of years ago. Anyhooooo, time to walk the dogs!
Sorry to hear about your job, but it sounds like you're adjusted my well to your retiremen :)

Sold as seen should cover you but
There is a good pro forma receipt on the AA website, which covers all these aspects and more. Might be of help to you.

D
Car seller's contract | AA

ps while its often normal or required to surrender or send away any vehicle associated documentation at the time of sale, be sure to keep copies of the last couple of years services and MOT for a few months.

Hello stranger

Sold as seen no warranty given or implied should be enough to cover you Lisa.

As above obviously with the registration number of the vehicle being sold (I also include the VIN) will suffice, make sure you date the receipt and have the (verified) name and address of he buyer I always put on the time of transfer of ownership as well.

Good luck!

Hi Lisa,

The AA advice above is good, this is what I always put on a receipt: -

My Name & Address

Car Make, Model & Registration

VIN: Not essential but worth it to me as an extra safeguard

Received the sum of £XXXX for the above car, amount paid in cash/bank transfer or whatever.

Sold to: Buyers name and address

Signed : BUYER

Signed: VENDOR

The above car is sold as seen, with no warranty given or implied. The important bit

Date: 24/03/2014
Time: 11:40 AM

Time and date is pretty important as well, just in case they pick up any tickets on the way home with the car.

Good luck with the sale :)

Lisa

Good to hear from you. All of the above are legally correct. If you are seeking moral absolution? Then you may find that in telling the buyer in very simple terms, that the car has always been a good car for you, has given you no hassle and you are not aware of any issues that may befall it. You can offer this up in writing (prepared in advance) if that gives you inner peace.

Sadly (as you know) life is not fair and neither are car buyers, most of who develop an unreasonable expectation of how a 2nd hand car should behave. This is then made worse by Mike Brewer (Wheeler Dealers) teaching his own special blend of car selling heaven, where things just never go wrong. Things do go wrong and the law is there t protect both buyer and seller.

Honesty is always the best policy and honest sales will attract honest buyers, who do not have crazy expectations of a 20 year old car. Point out the flaws and state the good bits. Tell them that it is, what is, and much as you are sad to see it go? You do not wish to see it back in a week, accompanied by a solicitors or any other letter, demanding a refund or payment for a new clutch etc.

Over fussy buyers, who arrive in overalls, with a car creeper in their arms and a huge neon torch and Snap On Screwdriver at the ready, are sometimes best avoided:

1) They have a tendency to knock holes through your floor pan and not buy the car.
2) they drink all your tea, eat all your biscuits and do not buy the car.
3) They lecture you for hours during your favorite TV shows about what they will need to do to the car to "make it right" then, do not buy the car.

You want:

1) There it is.
2) This is the asking price.
3) Here are docs.
4) Wave goodbye with the cash in your hands.

Date: 24/03/2014
Time: 11:40 AM

Time and date is pretty important as well, just in case they pick up any tickets on the way home with the car.
Just to add to Dave's excellent advice, notify the DVLA of the sale or transfer online which will give you a time-stamped email receipt from them and will kick off the refund of any unexpired VED.

One of the reasons people buy from dealers is because there is no warranty when buying privately.
Dealers warranty is the subject for another time.
Once you have the money and they have the keys then your responsibility ends. The onus is on them to find any issues before they hand over the cash.

All of this is good advice! I put the car on our local Faceache buy and sell page on Tuesday afternoon and a sale was agreed by 11.00 Wednesday morning, full price, as I'd done my research on Auto Trader and subtracted a bit. The purchasers currently drive a Motability car, but after a PIP assessment, are losing it. I pointed the purchaser toward the garage which has maintained my cars (and Vespa) for over 10 years, and he confirmed its soundness. I have an envelope of two inches of past history along with the original handbook(s). I did agree to have the connection to the knock sensor looked at, as it suddenly had a problem (though the sensor itself was working fine, as seen by the voltage changes) and got a very slow leak in one of the tyres fixed (reseated on the wheel). I have done all I can. I put new number plates on it (removing my cherished plate for the Green Meanie). What I found particularly interesting is that the purchaser has no "no claims bonus" as this does not accrue on Motability cars. I am told that the insurance that costs me less than £200, comprehensive, protected no claims, may cost them up to £1000!

edit: ps, they have given me one third of the asking price as a deposit, at my request.

The insurance costs were one of the things which put me off buying a Honda to be honest Lisa.

I don't know if it's the price of Honda parts (quite probably) or any other factor, but my insurers wanted nearly twice the amount they are charging for my Nissan...

All of this is good advice! I put the car on our local Faceache buy and sell page on Tuesday afternoon and a sale was agreed by 11.00 Wednesday morning, full price, as I'd done my research on Auto Trader and subtracted a bit. The purchasers currently drive a Motability car, but after a PIP assessment, are losing it. I pointed the purchaser toward the garage which has maintained my cars (and Vespa) for over 10 years, and he confirmed its soundness. I have an envelope of two inches of past history along with the original handbook(s). I did agree to have the connection to the knock sensor looked at, as it suddenly had a problem (though the sensor itself was working fine, as seen by the voltage changes) and got a very slow leak in one of the tyres fixed (reseated on the wheel). I have done all I can. I put new number plates on it (removing my cherished plate for the Green Meanie). What I found particularly interesting is that the purchaser has no "no claims bonus" as this does not accrue on Motability cars. I am told that the insurance that costs me less than £200, comprehensive, protected no claims, may cost them up to £1000!

edit: ps, they have given me one third of the asking price as a deposit, at my request.
Lisa

It disappoints me, you did not have the car treated to a full bare metal re-spray, 4 new tyres on the refurbished wheels, the interior re-upholstered and the engine and gearbox fully rebuilt by Honda, oh and one of those magic tree air fresheners hung from the rear view mirror. Obviously then I would still want something off your asking price.

I hope it all goes to plan, I am sure it will. Honesty should be rewarded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom