Selling on ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
I've never done this before but after putting in all the details of the item that I'm selling it's telling me I must enter my pay pal details.
It's a cash on collection sale and I haven't got a pay pal account. Must I have one anyway?

In order for eBay to collect their fees for listing and selling then you must an account linked to them .

I would rather set up a PP account than use my main bank account for such things.

I keep > £100 In my account for eventualities but it is pretty much an instant transfer from my bank accounts should more funds be required.

Kenny

So that's why it won't process what I'm selling? I need to open up a PP account?

Yep, as said eBay need to collect their fee for advertising the item (unless it's a free insert) and the sales fee (usually 10% of the final auction or buy it now price)
Once you have a PayPal account you can buy items on eBay but unless they are secondhand items you want, there aren't many bargains like there used to be.

Also remember if the buyer pays via PP then you will kop for the PP fees , so not only are you charged by eBay for listing an item , you are also charged for selling an item plus PayPal will take their slice also.

Kenny

If I sell a large item that is collection only, I will put CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY in the listing. Never had an issue.

If someone pays via paypal, just send them a message and refund the payment.

I've never done this before but after putting in all the details of the item that I'm selling it's telling me I must enter my pay pal details.
It's a cash on collection sale and I haven't got a pay pal account. Must I have one anyway?

Gumtree is better for collection only things, or a local FB selling page.

nick mercedes said:
Gumtree is better for collection only things, or a local FB selling page.
It's on one of the Facebook selling sites as we speak. At the end of the day it's a £120 bicycle so selling it locally is the best way. As far as the future goes I'm never going to have anything to sell that will appeal to anyone outside the M25. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
If you're selling on eBay UK you have to accept Paypal. Buyers get the benefit of protection with items they buy using Paypal. They don't when they pay by cash or bank transfer, so savvy buyers prefer Paypal

Nick Froome

I refused to give our bank account details to/for PayPal, so all payments/receipts go through a credit card, with a low credit limit, which I keep solely for this purpose.

PayPal accepted my argument that I didn't have a bank account in my own name, only a joint one, and any purchases or sales I made on eBay were nothing to do with the joint holder. Absolute tosh of course, as it's joint with Mrs Baxlin, but they weren't to know that.

For high value items like cars, definately only use Paypay for the deposit, then some other method for the balance. Elon Musk has quite enough income already.

If the buyer hadn't paid the deposit in a day or so, chances are he's a wheel-kicker..

PaulG said:
For high value items like cars, definately only use Paypay for the deposit, then some other method for the balance. Elon Musk has quite enough income already. If the buyer hadn't paid the deposit in a day or so, chances are he's a wheel-kicker..

Musk sold PayPal a while ago.

Paypal customer "service" is utterly appalling as well so if you do have a problem be prepared for a long haul.

For example the post below (not having a go at you PaulG, your post is just the most recent in this thread).

For high value items like cars, definately only use Paypay for the deposit, then some other method for the balance. Elon Musk has quite enough income already.

If the buyer hadn't paid the deposit in a day or so, chances are he's a wheel-kicker..

There is no buyer protection on deposits (& no buyer protection for vehicles!)

https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_AT/ua/pdf/buyerprotection.pdf

Neilrr, I wasn't advocating using Paypal to get any protection, I know that's not gonna happen, it's just that accepting a deposit by Paypal lets you know the buyer is more likely to go through with the sale.

There's a LOT of timewasters on Ebay, and in the case of selling cars, I'd say by far the majority, so be prepared for a couple of re-listings.

I always put some info in the listing about any potential buyer must have say, 10 positive Feedback points or will have their bid removed. But I still get chancers trying it on.

To minimise the aggravation factor, arrange to have the auction finish at a time when you can monitor the bidding process (say Sunday night around 9 o'clock) and cancel (and block) the timewasters as they bid.

It's a pain, and a Sniper will probably beat you, but well worth the effort... Too many re-listings makes buyers suspicious..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom