Selling the SL500 R129 - don't know current value.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I'm shortly going to put my SL up for sale as I no longer have a garage to keep it in.

I've been looking in the normal places trying to gauge the current market but the prices are all over the place and i'm struggling to know what I should be putting it up for. Whats making it tricky is a very small number of 5.0L models for sale.

Briefly, mine is a final edition 1999 model, panoramic roof, xenons, wood/leather steering wheel, in fact pretty much all the toys. 18" AMG 2 piece rims, 114k miles.

It looks like the prices have climbed a bit since I last looked... but does anyone have a finger on the pulse of this particular market right now?

I'm sure Jay would give you the correct sale value.

Not one of Mercedes best models in my opinion , too many electrical issues and some okay 129's out there for very little money .i have just sold my 1992 300sl. Although it had 155k miles it had amazing history , 22 service stamps in book , every mot and original sales invoice . After some time and continually reducing my price I managed to £5000 for it .
It was in excellent condition bodywise but power hood very temperamental.
Hope this gives you a starting point , I would ignore the adverts you see selling these cars for £10 - £20k I doubt they ever sell , the same for most models of classic cars these days some dealers put unrealistic values on them .

Spike, for a reasonably quick sale, around 10K private sale.

Kvz2000,
When you mention electrical problems are you referring to the loom as I was led to believe this was a problem on 94-96 models?

Clicked on the gallery, bloody hell, that is a gorgeous car.

I'm planning on buying one this year and in a way have the same problem - the prices are all over the place!

Not one of Mercedes best models in my opinion , too many electrical issues and some okay 129's out there for very little money .i have just sold my 1992 300sl. Although it had 155k miles it had amazing history , 22 service stamps in book , every mot and original sales invoice . After some time and continually reducing my price I managed to £5000 for it .
It was in excellent condition bodywise but power hood very temperamental.
Hope this gives you a starting point , I would ignore the adverts you see selling these cars for £10 - £20k I doubt they ever sell , the same for most models of classic cars these days some dealers put unrealistic values on them .

I doubt being in Scotland helped you sell a convertible I'm afraid! The same car is say Sussex or Cornwall might have sold for a few grand more.

Maybe that's half the reason for prices being everywhere?

Last edited:
I'm shortly going to put my SL up for sale as I no longer have a garage to keep it in.

I've been looking in the normal places trying to gauge the current market but the prices are all over the place and i'm struggling to know what I should be putting it up for. Whats making it tricky is a very small number of 5.0L models for sale.

Briefly, mine is a final edition 1999 model, panoramic roof, xenons, wood/leather steering wheel, in fact pretty much all the toys. 18" AMG 2 piece rims, 114k miles.

It looks like the prices have climbed a bit since I last looked... but does anyone have a finger on the pulse of this particular market right now?

Its a shame you have to sell it, that car is a beauty!

It's a lovely car - good luck with the valuation and sale Sp!ke. As a very small aside, I think the 18" wheels you have are actually 3-piece. The AMG I style (as fitted to my SL) are the 2-piece ones.

"Asking" prices / condition

1) Asking prices will always be all over the place for borderline classics because, as Nanny used to say "Want doesn't mean Get" ; and

2) Actual paid prices will also be all over the place - because they cover the range from box-fresh, cosseted, well maintained through to well-used, but still getting through the MoT (just)

Best measure is to find people who have actually done a transaction recently.

Looks like a nice car, but might struggle with that many miles. - 10k sounds about right for a quick sale.

If the spec, condition and history are right, low mileage cars are fetching strong money...................I recently bought mine from the 'SL Shop'.........top money, but top car with a 2 year warranty!

Agreed with the above, Values are all over the place currently on these. If the paint is original and no signs of corrosion and has good history with no mechanical issues i would suggest around the 10k mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom