Sent wife's pulse through the roof!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevieb15

Car
98 sl 500, 90 w126 500se, 03 CLK 320 Convertible, 90 W124 CE300
My wife had a major event on the M25 in her 2004 320 CLK when it stalled/engine suddenly stopped without any warning.
Jayne was in the outside lane, keeping up with traffic, so 75-80, when all of a sudden she was powerless, she managed to drift across from lane to lane with much flashing of lights and horns going off all around and very badly shaken up!
An error message just advised visit workshop, after 5 minutes she restarted it and the "no malfunction" message came up, so she drove to Jct 9, staying in the inside lane and down the A24 towards home, when the same thing happened again.
She contacted the excellent John Haynes who told her to bring it straight in, provided her with a courtesy car and sorted the problem within 24 hours.
It turned out to be the HFM sensor which was replaced along with the air filter.
Anyone heard of anything similar happening before?

Same thing happened to my wife on the M2 in morning rush hour (documented elsewhere on here). In her case it was the fuel filter that had become blocked after fill up at the local ASDA. Not heard of an HFM sensor?

I'm glad to hear that your wife is OK.

BHF.....frightening.....pleased a good outcome.

Mic

Terrifying, glad she kept her head and was safe.

I had the opposite happen many years ago. I had a 4.2L XJ6, which I was driving along the North Circular in the Neasden area, where there are some quite tight bends. I floored it into kickdown to clear some traffic, and when I took my foot off the pedal it stayed firmly stuck to the floor :eek:

I kicked the pedal in all directions, all the while the speed was rising rapidly. A 4.2 Jag in kickdown can get a bit of a wiggle on. Eventually the pedal popped up and I avoided more tham half throttle for the rest of the journey. Luckily the leather seats were wipe clean.

The problem was the rod off the accelerator pedal had wedged itself behind the head of a bolt which acts as an end stop.

Scary doesn't start to describe it.

The only sensor I can think of that would kill an engine like that is the crank position sensor...

My only guess is that the HFM sensor is referring to the air mass meter... I've never heard of it being the cause of an engine stalling but I may be wrong.

I had that experience in a Mitsubishi shogun on the M40, the fuel pump failed whilst i was in the outside lane, manoeuvring a 2 tonne automatic across three lanes with no power is an experience i'd rather not repeat. I hope your Wife is ok.

whats a HFM sensor?

I can only think of a few things that would cause this.

Faulty Key
Faulty Ignition Module/barrell
CPS
Loose connection to main earth or pos somewhere
Front SAM unit,

I hope your wife's ok Stevie, she deserves a medal for negotiating that nightmare.

whats a HFM sensor?

I can only think of a few things that would cause this.

Faulty Key
Faulty Ignition Module/barrell
CPS
Loose connection to main earth or pos somewhere
Front SAM unit,

Hot film mass air flow sensor, it's a part of the engine management system

I hope your wife's ok Stevie, she deserves a medal for negotiating that nightmare.
Thanks Lee, plenty think she deserved a medal long before this little incident!
Your daughter fully recovered now?

Thanks Lee, plenty think she deserved a medal long before this little incident!
Your daughter fully recovered now?

Yes thanks pal, her first day back at school was Tuesday and she's settled back in easily.

Terrifying, glad she kept her head and was safe.

I had the opposite happen many years ago. I had a 4.2L XJ6, which I was driving along the North Circular in the Neasden area, where there are some quite tight bends. I floored it into kickdown to clear some traffic, and when I took my foot off the pedal it stayed firmly stuck to the floor :eek:

I kicked the pedal in all directions, all the while the speed was rising rapidly. A 4.2 Jag in kickdown can get a bit of a wiggle on. Eventually the pedal popped up and I avoided more tham half throttle for the rest of the journey. Luckily the leather seats were wipe clean.

The problem was the rod off the accelerator pedal had wedged itself behind the head of a bolt which acts as an end stop.

Scary doesn't start to describe it.

Similar to my father's experience.
Family driving down from Oban in Simca 1301 special ( hello . . is anyone still there ? ).
Came to a sharp bend and just took his foot off accelerator to lose speed.
The car kept at the same speed however, and we just made it round.
Turned out a gromet in the bulkhead was missing, and the accelerator cable had been rubbing
metal to metal all it's life. Eventually, the cable started to fray, which in turn caught on the bulkhead, leaving the throttle stuck in position.

very scarey, but as you say, wipe clean seats were a godsend ( although plastic in this case ). :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom