Serial E55k spotter JohnEboy's e55k??? maybe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Actually red is pretty common for Ferrari!

:D

When I went to look at it, I thought it was black (it looked black in the photos). I even asked the place if I could come and see the "black E55" and they didn't correct me.

When I got there, it was grey. I wasn't disappointed though because although it wasn't black, it looked stunning in the showroom.

Many people have commented on how much they like it. Partly I think because the colour suits it but also because it is quite rare. I've probably only seen 5 Tektite Grey ones since I bought it. I've probably seen the same number of TG W21 E55s which really suits that car (and I don't even like the W210).

I don't think I've ever seen a TG MB let alone a 55K. I was staring at the pictures for ages wondering if the repro was odd and it was actually black. Evidently not.

Actually red is pretty common for Ferrari!

:D

When I went to look at it, I thought it was black (it looked black in the photos). I even asked the place if I could come and see the "black E55" and they didn't correct me.

When I got there, it was grey. I wasn't disappointed though because although it wasn't black, it looked stunning in the showroom.

Many people have commented on how much they like it. Partly I think because the colour suits it but also because it is quite rare. I've probably only seen 5 Tektite Grey ones since I bought it. I've probably seen the same number of TG W21 E55s which really suits that car (and I don't even like the W210).
So....are you the new owner yet then? [emoji6]

I don't think I've ever seen a TG MB let alone a 55K. I was staring at the pictures for ages wondering if the repro was odd and it was actually black. Evidently not.

There is a TG E55 W210 for sale at the moment on AT I think too. Pretty rare though still.

Yes, well you've done what I did. I really wanted a black one but as above. Once I drove it all those years ago, well, I had real difficulty keeping a poker face.

So....are you the new owner yet then? [emoji6]

You're not the first to ask that nor will you be the last I suspect!

Not for me now... I really have no interest in buying that one or another AMG now. If I was in the market for one, no question I would buy that one back but I feel I've well and truly done it now.

It has many happy memories attached as well as some very sad ones.

Maybe if it they hadn't held the value so well and that car had dropped to 5 or below, I would buy it back and keep it for a second project car just for the odd use and runway days. I would probably develop the mods on it as I touched upon earlier and move it into the mid 600s. I fear the nostalgic novelty would wear off quick and I would move it on again though!

It's hard to understand when you've not had it but I had that car for a long time, longest I've ever had a car, and I knew at 3 years I was considering moving it on.

It's only because of Acid's chicken that I pushed it up to where its at now and that lasted another 2.5 years.

It will be a cracking car for someone!

I still think you should go for it if you have any interest. It's a stonker that one... :cool:

I agree with you & can understand it is all too tempting to re-visit old flames....however it is not much of a forward move to do so. I also agree that if it were 6-8k it changes it a bit. At 10k+ an E55 for me at the moment is just a smidge too much for me to justify.

Dent in the Nsr Wing, and the Sat nav doesn't work.

I think this is probably one of the nicest, with Quality/miles and price in mind

2003 Mercedes-Benz E Class 5.4 E55 AMG 4dr | eBay

I've been to see this and its the worst one out of 4

Smokes on start up smoked after a blip on throttle after 10-15mins of running.
Wrong wheels and in bad condition
Interior trim missing and or broken
Center arm rest tab missing but shown intact in the pictures

I'm going to view this tomorrow. I've spoken to the chap and seems really nice and knowledgeable about the car. However after a history check on the MOT it mentioned an oil leak. I've spoke to him and he said the leak has been there before his ownership and is not worth fixing as it will return. I don't think I've ever owned a car without an oil leak so its not a deal breaker but was wondering if John could shed anymore light on it.

Yes, it had that oil leak since the day I got it in March 2011.

Acid said they pretty much all do it and you can fix it, but it will return so don't worry about it.

Just go by how much oil you need to fill it with.

I think it used a litre of oil every few months IIRC.

Not sure why it was never picked up on previous MOTs though.

Here is my rather limited YT channel with some of the videos I made of the car during the time I had it modified:

John

Ok so I went to see the car today and overall it was very nice, bodywork and colour was excellent for age. Exhaust note was perfect and not over the top. However, there were a couple of things I was unsure of. After letting off WOT it had a slight acceleration pull before decelerating.

Ok now for the biggest and maybe controversial comment... My **** dyno felt that the car was not as powerful as a standard one I sat in (1st AMG experience) a couple of weeks ago. It could be that maybe this time I was expecting too much I don't know. I have been taking the same friend with me to view cars and he had the same opinion. Even if it was that you cant replicate the first experience and surprise element which is a fair comment, I would've thought that with the modifications it would have been a different experience.

Just for clarification I am in no way saying the car was a let down or the car is not good, i'm just voicing my thoughts out loud. I would love to hear your thoughts before I make my decision.

It could be something simple like the map and modifications delivers the power differently sort of more top end rather than low mid range. I'm not sure of the typical performance characteristics of the modifications applied to the car.

Hmm.

The acceleration thing... I really don't remember if it did that or not (it's been over a year since I last drove it).

It's very difficult to answer the second part as perception obviously plays a part here. As you say, when you first drive one it is astounding even in standard form.

To me it felt like it was tearing me a new 4rsehole when you nail it. It was relentless and way faster than when it was a standard one which even then was running at 500/510. I've never been in anything faster (apart from one of Acid's nutty million HP AMGs which I couldn't use the power in because it was chucking it down when I drove it).

I had the same concept though when I drove an E63 TT 525 a little while after I sold the E55K. It felt pedestrian compared to my E55K so maybe I was expecting too much.

I can say for sure that it all the time I had it, it was a "good one" and not a lemon... it never broke-down once and nor did it have any issues with engine or drivetrain reliability including after modification (things like the Airmatic pump went and duo valve but just dopey things and nothing serious and replaced when they failed). The IC pump went (or was crap) and that was replaced which was the only thing causing a drop in performance. Even then it could manage one WOT run and then retarded the power back to a standard E55K which was noticeable. After that - devastating (for a lot of other cars who tried to race it) and never put a foot wrong for the remaining 2.5 years I kept it.

The only way to be sure is to run it on Acid's dyno and see if it still chucks out 496WHP but this is obviously difficult logistically when you are not the owner and the car is far away from Brum.

Maybe drive another standard E55 and see how it compares now...?

It could be something simple like the map and modifications delivers the power differently sort of more top end rather than low mid range. I'm not sure of the typical performance characteristics of the modifications applied to the car.

Was rapido all through the range which is how a supercharger behaves.

I just thought there would've been a distinct difference between standard and modified that's all. It must be just me expecting too much. Would the characteristics change like I've said above where the power band etc. moves. I know when I've upgraded turbos on previous cars low end can really suffer but i know this is different as its just more boost with improved flow. I suppose Ignition timing can be a big factor too and without knowing what the map consisted of speculating would be wrong. Just because it doesn't feel right to me it doesn't mean it's wrong. I think you are right I should now try another car to compare.

I would like to stress again John, thanks for your input and please be assured i'm not doubting your previous work and I totally understand a lot can happen in a year too. To be honest you've carried out some very tasteful mods I wouldn't have changed a thing. Thats the reason why it is winding me up more because I like the car in every other way.

... Would the characteristics change like I've said above where the power band etc. moves. I know when I've upgraded turbos on previous cars low end can really suffer but i know this is different as its just more boost with improved flow....

Sorry I composed whilst you posted so I didn't see your post

I would like to stress again John, thanks for your input and please be assured i'm not doubting your previous work and I totally understand a lot can happen in a year too. To be honest you've carried out some very tasteful mods I wouldn't have changed a thing. Thats the reason why it is winding me up more because I like the car in every other way.

Not a problem - happy to help.

I am in no way taking any of your comments as doubting my previous work at all (although it's Acid's work anyway :D).

But seriously, and I nearly stated it in my last post, things can change in a year.

I am still in touch with the buyer as I wanted to see how my old steed fared after I'd moved it on as even though I don't want an AMG now, I'm interested to see how the car gets on in future and it would be nice to know it was looked after.

This puts me in an awkward position and a slightly unusual one and I half didn't want a thread like this to show up as it may put me in an awkward situation, but on the other hand, I can convey to potential buyers how much of a "good one" this car was under my ownership and, I believe, it still is.

I obviously am happy to answer questions based on the car from when I had it for getting on for 6 years. I probably know the car better than all previous owners still.

But I don't want to jeopardise the sale of the car or suggest in any way that the car has not been looked after in that time (which could be perceived if I suggest in any way it might now not be right - especially when I have not seen it for a year).

For the record, I've every faith that the current ownership has cared for the car in the same way I have, but under anyone's ownership, cars can have problems. The guy who owns it now does not use it as a daily, so it's possible it could be running slightly under par and he might not notice. Other than the IC pump though, I'm not sure what else could cause this. I would have thought you'd have noticeable problems which even someone not using it a lot would notice.

On the other hand, it might be exactly as it was and as you say, it could be your perception. Again, I had the same thing I mentioned above.

If I were intending to buy an E55K, and I was faced with the market you face, I would buy my one back because I know the car has a solid history. You have very little or no provenance with the other examples whereas you can read through all my threads on here about my old one.

I would tackle any issue should there be any by taking up to Acid's because I would be confident there is nothing seriously wrong.

That said - it would be my money I was spending should something go wrong but this can happen in any scenario when buying a private car without warranty.

I am in no way linked to the seller and nor do I benefit from the sale. The only link here is I previously owned it and sold it to people I did not know prior (although they were linked to this forum via another member).

I'm purely an enthusiast, who is still very enthusiastic about that car, who hopes that the guys selling the car sell it, because they were good guys, and that it goes to a good home because it was a good one!

Car looks nice - if it’s only a question of if there’s anything wrong or not why not have it inspected as part of the sale?

Could be anything from nothing wrong at all or perhaps needing some service items for example - IC pump as suggested or a slipping S/C belt or plugs etc?

I think the seller is a forum member btw :)

If you like the car otherwise I’d go and get it checked over, you’ll probably not find an E55 like that come up again if it’s what you’re after :thumb:

Car looks nice - if it’s only a question of if there’s anything wrong or not why not have it inspected as part of the sale?

Could be anything from nothing wrong at all or perhaps needing some service items for example - IC pump as suggested or a slipping S/C belt or plugs etc?

I think the seller is a forum member btw :)

If you like the car otherwise I’d go and get it checked over, you’ll probably not find an E55 like that come up again if it’s what you’re after :thumb:

The car has a shorter belt on it although it could be slipping of course.

Ah yes, I think you are right. I think he couldn't logon which is why he came through another forum member or similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom