Service at MB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Javed Iqbal

Car
C class 250 cdi amg sport
Me and the wife have just recently got very low mileage w204 cdi250 coupe only 9k on 12plate does anyone know whether dealers will offer a service plan. And also whats peoples thoughts shall i steer clear and go indi garage or stick to MB if i can get a decent deal i know on the previous audi we could get service plans but not had time to visit my local dealer in Huddersfield yet

Once out of warranty (3 years?) I'd take the indy route every time.
Mobility loss is matched by breakdown cover, free with some bank accounts, and the savings on labour charges make it a no brainer for me.

The advantage of a dealer service is that you get one year Mobilo (roadside assistance) and that the anti-rust warranty is preserved. However, it can be difficult to find a good dealer... sadly, many dealers had very bad reviews on here.

The advantage of indie service is that you get to talk in person to someone who knows these cars very well. And there are quite a few good ones, including at least 3 who are forum sponsors and highly recommended (Prestige Car Services, Wayne Gates, and Mercland).

Regarding cost.... an indie will obviously be cheaper than an MB dealer, however if you get a Service Care Plan from MB then the cost may be about the same. I say 'may be' because with the MB Service Care Plan you pay a fixed price for one, two, or three services, and in return the MB dealer will carry-out everything that is due in terms of age or mileage at no additional cost.

So if you opt for a Service Care Plan that 'captures' some of the additional service items - e.g. ATF and filter change (if auto), brake fluid change, air filter change, fuel filer change - then this will work out quite cheap, possibly on par with getting these done individually at an Indie.

See also: https://servicecarerates.mercedes-benz.co.uk/

You can use MB's Mercedes-Benz ESS (Electronic Service Sheet) to check what is due for your car.

Thanks Guys appreciate the advice, leaning towards a Indy but just thought seeing its only done 9k and previous is all mb as you would expect thought it help with sale value after 3 years to consider mb .But going to see what there is west yorkshire for a good indy garage

if you get a Service Care Plan from MB then the cost may be about the same. I say 'may be' because with the MB Service Care Plan you pay a fixed price for one, two, or three services, and in return the MB dealer will carry-out everything that is due in terms of age or mileage at no additional cost.
I think the problem is, though (and bear with me if I am mistaken, as I'm new to this) that "everything that is due in terms of age or mileage" consists of an awful lot of "check the condition of", and fluid & filter changes. The Service Guide has a number of footnotes with the magic words "separate invoice". (Again AIUI) the service care plan pays for only the basic A & B services, none of the "separate invoice" stuff, and note that that includes all of the various "Additional Maintenance Work" items - the "every 3/4/5 years, 30/45/62 (approx) miles" items.

...the service care plan pays for only the basic A & B services, none of the "separate invoice" stuff...

The Service Care Plan will cover any of the following if they fall due with the A or B services purchased under the scheme:

Engine oil and filter change
Cabin/pollen/dust filter change
Air filter change
Fuel filter change
Spark plugs change
Breake fluid change
Coolant change
ATF and filter change
Manual gearbox oil change
Pano roof lubrication

But the caveat is that it must show as due on the MB ESS system:

Mercedes-Benz ESS

I.e. if a service is due based on the service booklet, by ESS does not show it, then you are in 'Computer says No' territory.

It will not cover other service items that are changed on condition (i.e. as opposed to at fixed intervals regardless of actual condition) such as:

Brake discs and pads
Exhaust
Battery
Tyres
Serpentine belt
Timing chain
Etc etc.

Also, you purchase an X number of services, not a protection cover period. I.e. it is not the same as breakdown insurance where you are covered for a set period of time.

So it does not matter if you pay over 2 or 3 years, because you are eligible for the X number of services you purchased even if you delay these and get them done after the payment period has finished.

Last edited:
On a 204 the service interval is every 15.5k miles or annually, whichever comes first. Every 2nd year MB will want to change the brake fluid (as well as oil and filter), every 4th year air and fuel filters, then IIRC 5 years or 37.5k miles ATF fluid and filter - a one off change according to MB, although many recommend having it done again after 70k-100k miles. All of these are in addition to the standard A or B service (A on "odd" years, B on "even" years) and add considerably to the cost of the A and B services - I do not know if a Service Plan will include them, so beware. To give you an idea of cost difference, MB Ashford carried out a B service when I bought my car in March 2012, the fuel filter had been done in August 2011 but the bill was still £402. 12 months later the A service (just before the 12 month Tier 1 warranty expired!) was £280. Jan 2017 my local indie carried out a B3 service in accordance with the MB ESS, including fuel filter, for £310.

the service care plan pays for only the basic A & B services, none of the "separate invoice" stuff ...
I'm afraid, that's completely wrong, as markjay already pointed above: the Service Care Plan includes all additional items (i.e. "to be invoiced separately" category) - the very first service I had on the plan for my current car, included five additional services: ATF, sparks, brake fluid, et al :)

As an example... if your ATF change is due every 5 years ot 75k miles (7G+), and the car is due its 4th service and has (say) 72k miles, you might want to delay the service by another 3k miles to ensure you also get the ATF changed under the Service Care Plan.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Still not sure if it's worth shelling out £35/month for, as I have no need to spread the cost. Time to get acquainted with Terry at Wayne Gates, methinks.

Service Plans are good if only to inflation proof the costs

Thanks for the clarifications.

Still not sure if it's worth shelling out £35/month for, as I have no need to spread the cost. Time to get acquainted with Terry at Wayne Gates, methinks.

In your position I wouldn't give a service plan another thought. The car is out of warranty at 8 yrs old, and Terry will look after the car a darn sight better than a dealer servicing it IMO.

Anti-rust warranty is not worth the paper it's written on. My first MB, the S203 C270, came with full MB service history, and I was second owner. Within months of buying it I noticed paint bubbling along the bottom of both offside doors, took it to MB Ashford - and was offered a pitiful contribution from MB towards the £800 cost of rectifying the paintwork. Others on here and t'other side have similar experience of how useless the "30 year warranty" is.

Reactions: GLK
Same here - FMBSH, only 29k miles when I bought the car, a well-known rust issue due to rubbish quality bottom weld seal - no contribution from MB.
The rust warranty is absolutely useless.

Once out of warranty (3 years?) I'd take the indy route every time.
Mobility loss is matched by breakdown cover, free with some bank accounts, and the savings on labour charges make it a no brainer for me.

Don't forget warranty can't be affected by non-dealer servicing. So even if it is still in the warranty period you can get it serviced independently, providing they follow MB procedures and use MB approved parts.

Without a doubt id stay away from the dealer with the car being 6 years old find a good recommend indy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom