"Service Brake- Visit workshop"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gbrowncls55

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS500 4.7TT 2012,, SL350 09, 996 cab, all current. Gone :CLS 55 E500 W211, 2x M5s and too many 911s
My dash display on my SL350 r230 says in white "Service Brake-Visit workshop" I suspect its to do with the SBC pump reset. But when I plug my OBD reader in using the Torque app on my phone via bluetooth it says no faults stored so I cant get the fault code to check. Is plugging into STAR the only solution?

Well this message on the dash is a bit of a catch all message it tells you nothing but could be a number of things,the most likely is brake pad wear,but it could be the electronic hand brake,do you just hot the park when you stop the car,or do you actually put the electronic hand brake on,failure to use the electronic brake sometimes renders it useless,I take it the car still stops well ,I suppose the star is the best way,but check the pad thickness and then keep putting the hand brake on and just maybe the fault will go.

Or could be brake light switch as this happened on my S211. As stated by others it could be a number of 'cheaper' causes worth checking but a star readout should nail it.

sbc messages are in red ... id opt for brake pads being low on material

thanks all. its a 2005 r230 so doesn't have an electronic hand brake. Sorry should have said. Yes brakes are fine. I will run it into a Star indie next week. If brake pads are low I think the dash display says" Brake pads worn". If the SBC pump has simply reached its Mercedes decided maximum number of presses, but the pump is still working fine then the message is in white. Brake lights working fine so unlikely to be the switch. I will post back when codes are read

when my pads were very low and the sensor was worn away , i got " Service Brake-Visit workshop " in white .

Sbc fault

Service brake visit workshop is sbc

Brake wear visit workshop is well worn brakes.

Or could be brake light switch as this happened on my S211. As stated by others it could be a number of 'cheaper' causes worth checking but a star readout should nail it.

The only time i ever had this fault was because of the brake light switch which drove me crazy for a week as the pads and sensors were all ok, then i realised the the cruise control had packed in.

As it turns out the cruise control was connected the the brake light switch was a cheap fix from ECP took less than twenty minutes ... but like everyone says it could be a number of small things. In case your wondering the brake lights were working go figure :confused:

Check break light switch behind pedal. (if white can be this)
Check/change pads and sensors (if white usually this)
Also check Aux battery voltage, as with low battery warning will come up.
Torque won't pick Merc faults, you need a specific read like the Carsoft i980. (if red you need the scan tool to check exactly what the fault is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom