Service care plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Was1

Car
2013 E220 cdi amg sport
Hi all, has anyone taken out the service care plan recently? Any issues? Any negative thoughts about it? I'm thinking of taking one out on my 2013 e class which is due it's first service in June. Also I've been told it must be serviced by mercedes and not an independent garage as this is in line with the pcp?? Any thoughts. Thanks.

Hi all, has anyone taken out the service care plan recently? Any issues? Any negative thoughts about it? I'm thinking of taking one out on my 2013 e class which is due it's first service in June. Also I've been told it must be serviced by mercedes and not an independent garage as this is in line with the pcp?? Any thoughts. Thanks.

The harsh reality is that ServiceCare probably makes sense. I think it should be cheaper, but MB's way of dealing with that is to lean on the dealers and keep PAYG servicing prices high.

Yes, you do have to use MB (or an MB authorised service centre, of which there are very few left now) if the car is on MB Finance - they own the car, not you.

I am not sure it would save you any money on the 1st 3 services from new. My first 3 services (A, B, A) cost £230, £480, £240 = £950. Service care when I bought my car was £36/month for 3 services but even at the now reduced rate of £30/month, 3 service would have cost £1080.

It was however a different case when I went in for my fourth service and I was quoted just over £600 :eek:. (fourth year meant more work to be done). It worked out cheaper for me to take out a service care plan at £54/month over 24 months for 3 services. Total cost = £1300. This will get me B, A, B services. Paying for individual services on their own would have cost me at least £1400.

The only negative experience for me with taking out the service care plan was that the dealer recommended I do work that wasnt needed e.g. change 50% worn brake pads. I guess they do this to increase their income as they are not directly receiving any cash when you bring your car in for a service under the care plan.

I've been quoted 30 pounds a month..my first service is due in June on its 12 month anniversary.

I've been quoted 30 pounds a month..my first service is due in June on its 12 month anniversary.

Why not? Going by the current fixed servicing rates of £279 for an A service and £369 (+£100 for brake fluid) for a B service . It will cost you £1030 over 3 services paying for individual services.

Service Care will cost you £45/month over 24 for months for 3 services = £1080. If you are the type that doesnt like to be hit with big bills all of a sudden, then even though it is £50 more expensive, Service Care will work for you.

You will not be allowed to take out the £30 plan if you want the plan cover your service coming up in June.

I am not sure it would save you any money on the 1st 3 services from new. My first 3 services (A, B, A) cost £230, £480, £240 = £950. Service care when I bought my car was £36/month for 3 services but even at the now reduced rate of £30/month, 3 service would have cost £1080.

Those service charges (especially the A's) are a bit on the low side for a 0-3yr old car and you might struggle to get them now (or you might not). Who knows? My local dealer used to be very aggressive on service pricing. Then they got a new service manager.

Critical thing in the value calculation is whether an ATF change is needed and annoyingly it's hard to be sure about that. Even if it appears now in the ESS it could change.

I guess they do this to increase their income as they are not directly receiving any cash when you bring your car in for a service under the care plan.

They get pretty well paid by MB for ServiceCare work, hence the dealers are keen to sell it.

Yes, you do have to use MB (or an MB authorised service centre, of which there are very few left now) if the car is on MB Finance - they own the car, not you.

Not 100% true. On my PCP I can use other places but there is a standing charge at settlement for not have MB stamps. I think it was about £1800.

Not 100% true. On my PCP I can use other places but there is a standing charge at settlement for not have MB stamps. I think it was about £1800.

OK, I knew that but didn't want to complicate things.

Without wanting to get into an argument about semantics, you do have to use MB for servicing. If you don't, you pay a penalty.

I don't think the charge is that high though (but perhaps varies by model?) - I have a figure of around £900 in my head.

Rory said:
Those service charges (especially the A's) are a bit on the low side for a 0-3yr old car

I paid £200 for my first service on a c63 black series, so not low at all.

I paid £200 for my first service on a c63 black series, so not low at all.

I remember you mentioning that before, but can't remember the circumstances. £200 is way below the "rack" rate on any 0-3yr old C Class, even before the loading most dealers will put on because it's a C63.

Some dealers will negotiate and some won't. Not everyone likes to ask either.

If you could be sure of getting £200 for an A service and, say, £300 for a B, then 3 services would cost £700, plus maybe £50 for brake fluid (I've seem prices from £30 to £100). So way cheaper. But then will it need an ATF change? If so, can you haggle that down to £200, or will they stone-wall you and say it's £350??

Last edited:
Even fixed service charges vary quite a bit between different cars so it's best to do the calculations for yourself. In my case it worked out a great deal cheaper to take out the Service Care plan. The extra work at the 3rd and 4th services made it a no-brainer for me - an overall saving of at least £269 by paying £27/month for four years. I say "at least" because you can be pretty sure that service costs will rise, but you're protected from such rises with the Service Care.

BTW, I only took out the plan less than 2 months before the first service by paying three months off as a lump sum (this was taken by DD the same month as the first service). Had I waited until after the car was 12 months old, the monthly payments would have been higher. I don't know if that still applies.

I can still do it for 30 pounds a month this week is the cut off as it needs to be 3 months before the first service. And If the car goes back before the 3rd service is due then i think it makes it worthwhile

I can still do it for 30 pounds a month this week is the cut off as it needs to be 3 months before the first service. And If the car goes back before the 3rd service is due then i think it makes it worthwhile

I see.

I may be wrong but I am sure you will still have to pay for 36 months even if the car goes back before the 3rd service?

I didn't have a service plan until early this year when I was quoted £759 (£312 for the B service and £447 for the other stuff such as brake fluid change, ATF change, 3x filters etc) for the 4 year service on my 2010 B200 which had done 37k miles.
I took out a service plan at £60 a month for 2 services in a year, so I am paying £720 for this and another service (worth around £180) in a years time, and I am paying in arrears too.

Terry.

No 30 pounds is for the two year plan.

So that's going to be £720 for an A and a B service and a brake fluid change.

It shouldn't cost quite that much (but at rack rates won't be far off).

What's the ATF change interval on your car?

ATF change is on the 4th service I called them yesterday and confirmed

When I looked at this before there didn't seem to be any great savings with the service plan as you can usually get it cheaper by negotiating with the MB dealers. This was especially true of BMW dealers previously. Although some people don't like negotiating or the time it takes to ring round.

However if you like the convenience of having the car collected rather than dropping it off plus a fixed payment for the next 'x' years it's probably worth doing - especially if it includes the 4th service with ATF change. As I recall the ATF change wasn't clear in what's covered by Service Care - although it should be if it comes up on the service sheet.

As mentioned above the prices are also fixed.

I decided against it as I wasn't sure how long I'd keep the car especially after the local MB dealer made a complete mess of the 'B' service and BF change I had done. The prices wouldn't be so bad if you received the level of service promoted by MB but generally fail to deliver on it.

The thing with ServiceCare is that it's priced far too high - taking it should be a no-brainer.

5yrs/50K service package on a BMW 5 Series is £475.

OK, that's variable servicing and BMW don't change the ATF but it'll be 3 oil & filter changes, brake fluid, air filter, pollen filter, and spark plugs on a petrol and fuel filter on a diesel which is more than the OP would need if he kept his car for 3 full years - ServiceCare would cost him £1080.

Last edited:
All done 30 pounds a month for two years. Covers me for this years service in June and June 2015. My pcp will end in June 2016, I spoke to the MB finance and as my term end date is two days before the last service date starts I don't need to get it done as the car will be going back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom