severe condensation in boot lid of w201

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coertvandorsten

Anyone have problems with severe condensation in the boot lid of a w201, when opeing the lid a lot of water have dammed up in the boot lid and then runs out into the boot space, you can clearly see the condensation on the metal, almost like there is no air flow/ ventilation?

Check your boot well for water,you've probably got a leak and the water's collecting in the bottom somewhere.

i had the same problem as i have recently re-mounted my spoiler, theres a little rubber plug in the bottom most corner of the lid, its outside of the seal so water runs to outside. I still have condensation inside the lid though, in fact it was ice this morning.

Back window seal leaking in water ,look closely you may see parcel shelf damp through window.

A leaking boot lock seal is also a common one on the 190's. They cost pennies from the dealers.

Back window seal leaking in water ,look closely you may see parcel shelf damp through window.

I think i have this problem on my W201....

What is the best way to tackle this issue?....

Is it simply to contact a window fitting company like autowindshields & ask them to relace the seal?.... I assume the screen will have to come out for this.

It is possible to sort it with screen left in, but it MUST be dry. Tube of clear silicone sealant, with a suitable tool (blunt dinner knife,or wrong end of a spoon) lift rubber away from body,& work your way along the rubber cleaning out muck & any trapped damp, then start again squeezing in your silicone. As you move along (& rubber returns to the body) keep wiping off the excess that it has squeezed out. When you've finished inserting silicone, wipe off any silicone on the body or outside of rubber with petrol or white spirit, make sure you get all this off, because any you miss will in time look a mess. DONT ATTEMPT THIS if your car is even damp cos the silicone wont stick properly, bad time of year to do this really, unless you've got a dry garage.

my freind had a similar problem, once boot seal was replaced he was ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom