Sevicing Costs and Discounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teflonso

Car
E350 Estate (W212 Facelift)
Do all main dealers work to a standard price list, or are there variations worth phoning around for?

My car needs it's first Service A and my local (big chain) dealer wants a kidney. No surprises, I researched before I bought but I'd like to do the best I can now the day is near.

And, does anyone know any discount options, for MBClub posters, etc?

Many thanks.

Teflonso said:
Do all main dealers work to a standard price list, or are there variations worth phoning around for? My car needs it's first Service A and my local (big chain) dealer wants a kidney. No surprises, I researched before I bought but I'd like to do the best I can now the day is near. And, does anyone know any discount options, for MBClub posters, etc? Many thanks. .
Dealers will compete for work so phone around a few. Whereabouts are you based?

Supplying your own oil is another way to save a chunk of cash too. Check with your service advisor as long as you supply MB Spec they're usually okay about this approach.

Agree with A-AvantGarde, dealers do compete with each other hence you can get a better price. IF you want specific oil or just think that you can get it cheaper, some of them are happy for you to bring your own, just check with dealer before this.

Which is your nearest dealer? The Inchcape owned dealers used to be know to be pretty good as discounting but they seemed to have less keen now - I get the impression that Mercedes has leaned on the dealers to get them to follow the MyService prices, as it makes ServiceCare seem more attractive.

Also, how old is the car? Discounting on cars under 3yrs old seems to be an absolute no no.

I got my MB Dealer to quote against a non franchise garage. Price came down from £300 to £180 for an A service.

This is an interesting thread. We're picking up our E220 CDI estate next week and I was erring towards the service plan for 3yrs, 3 services at £30 month, 10,000 miles pa.

That equates to £1080 over the 3 years.

What would servicing actually cost over that period if it was paid for as we went?

FIL had been getting £300 to £400 bills for his 2011 E220 saloon even after shopping around, so the £30 a month looked quite reasonable.

This is an interesting thread. We're picking up our E220 CDI estate next week and I was erring towards the service plan for 3yrs, 3 services at £30 month, 10,000 miles pa.

What would servicing actually cost over that period if it was paid for as we went?

FIL had been getting £300 to £400 bills for his 2011 E220 saloon even after shopping around, so the £30 a month looked quite reasonable.

You no longer have to use MB Dealers to keep warranty valid, just use MB parts and follow servicing schedule. If your handing back after 3 years you won't benefit from the added value of a FMBSH. I pay £200 for A services and £320 for B services at an indie, first 3 services would be A, B & A.

You do the math, as they say.

Well, the answer seems to be in your post. A big factor is whether yours will need an ATF change at 3yrs - that's a quite a big cost in itself.

I've moaned about this before, but ServiceCare should be priced so that it's a no-brainer - I think the BMW equivalent is £500.

Last edited:
You no longer have to use MB Dealers to keep warranty valid, just use MB parts and follow servicing schedule. If your handing back after 3 years you won't benefit from the added value of a FMBSH. I pay £200 for A services and £320 for B services at an indie, first 3 services would be A, B & A.

You do the math, as they say.

If you're handing back you must use a franchise dealer - it's in the contract. If you don't then there's a heft penalty.

This is nothing to do with warranty - the fact is that is the car is on lease or PCP then it's not your car so you don't get to choose where it's serviced.

If you're handing back you must use a franchise dealer - it's in the contract. If you don't then there's a heft penalty.

This is nothing to do with warranty - the fact is that is the car is on lease or PCP then it's not your car so you don't get to choose where it's serviced.

I wasn't aware of this.

We haven't decided if we're handing back or keeping at this point in time, which is why we went PCP so we had the option.

Many thanks for all the replies, they've been very enlightening.

So, by way of feedback, here's how I went on:

• Phoned my local (JCT600) dealer and got a price well north of £300.
  • Went on the MB website to check prices ................
  • Same dealer is down (!) at £290, as are all the other JCTs in the area.
  • Dealer I bought from (Inchcape, 50 minutes away) is showing as £243
  • Local non-dealer approved service place (Europa) is showing as £238

Now the queer thing is that when I looked the other night prices were the same for all options, drop, lounge, hire car and collect. This morning they all vary, with collect costing an extra £50.

[*]Dealer I bought from (Inchcape, 50 minutes away) is showing as £243

Now the queer thing is that when I looked the other night prices were the same for all options, drop, lounge, hire car and collect. This morning they all vary, with collect costing an extra £50.

Inchcape Chester told me to ignore MyService and call them, although last time it took literally days to get past their call-centre and other people. Eventually the Service Manager called me and he said all the right things but wasn't very keen to move on price. He's new and the previous guy was much more keen to haggle.

Someone there told me the MyService price for collection or courtesy car at £50 is bonkers. I've never paid for a courtesy car (my own insurance covers it) and I didn't at last service a few months ago.

Good point made, but just to be clear (and pedantic ;) at the same time) with a PCP you do own the car. It's just a secured asset against finance.

So if you keep the car, sell or part exchange you will not face any extra costs and have a full warranty if you follow the correct service routine at an non-approved garage. The only time there is a surcharge, in this scenario, is if you take the option of handing back the car to MB finance at the end of the PCP term. Obviously, when selling or part exchanging some may see the FSH not approved dealer FSH as a point to haggle.

cheers, Steve

Good point made, but just to be clear (and pedantic ;) at the same time) with a PCP you do own the car. It's just a secured asset against finance.

cheers, Steve

I think you find car is owned by lender until end then you have option to purchase or hand car back.

You'll probably turn out to be an expert, :cool: but I don't think that's right.

Indeed, on the agreement for the Honda Jazz I just "bought" on 0% and £500 rebate PCP, it says clearly "The Goods will not become your property until you have made all the payments."

It's quite simple. You are the registered legal owner. With a PCP, the car is a secured asset, and therefore can be seized if you fail to meet the financial commitment.

You are the registered legal owner.

There's no such thing as a registered legal owner.

Legally registered keeper then.

Exactly. So now get your V5C out and tell us what it says about ownership in block capitals across the front.

It's really not pedantic - it's quite important that people understand this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom