Share a winter tip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Let's share any tip to help with the onset of winter that we have learned over the years ...

My tip - Place a 2 litre bottle of hot (not boiling) water against the INSIDE of your windscreen on icy mornings. The hot water heats the glass and then melts the frost/ice. Your screen clears quickly with wipers or a squeegee and the heat in the glass keeps it nice and clear until your car gets up to temperature.

Just take the same luke warm 2L bottle of water and pour it on the outside of the windows and you wont need to do any scraping of ice at all. :)

When switching off the car, make sure the wiper stalk is set to '0' to avoid the (sometimes frozen) wipers coming on automatically when you next start the car.

Cars warming up and left unattended with the engine running. :doh:

Keep car in garage

Mic

Fly South for the winter.
Don't use your wipers to try and clear a frozen screen - it ruins the blades you paid so much for at your MB dealer.

Make sure your battery(ies) is fully charged before the real cold arrives.

Buy an Audi Quattro before the snow arrives:D :ban:

Don't forget to take the piece of coal out of the snowball before you throw it at the wife or kids.

Don't forget your insurance company won't pay out if you leave your keys in the car with the engine running, whilst you are in the house waiting for it to warm up / defrost.

Also illegal (on a public highway), I think?

Just take the same luke warm 2L bottle of water and pour it on the outside of the windows and you wont need to do any scraping of ice at all. :)

Same here. Always makes me laugh seeing people scraping away for ages.
Old plastic milk bottle, cold water with a tiny bit from the hot tap, job done.
Never seen a windscreen cracked this way either...

When I was leaving for work in frosty conditions, I used to run an extension lead to a fan heater placed strategically inside the car and turn on for five minutes before leaving. Toasted! :D

(Yes, I know - only an option if your car is parked close to garage and you can watch the process - preferably from behind a nice warm lounge window!)

I threw a saucepan of boiling water over the old montegos windscreen that we used to run around in when I worked at the film studios.

Needless to say , it didn't have a windscreen for very long after that ( maybe 0.2 sec )

Was cold the rest of that winter at Leavesden

Run the aircon regular as it'll get some of the damp out of the car and stops the internal windows freezing as much. Keep the windows clean that helps to lessen the freezing

Tell the wife she needs to get up ten minutes eariler to get your screens cleared and engines warmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom