Share dealing - any recommendations??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Some advice from the panel please. I have a friend who wants to open a share dealing account but is looking for recommendations. Wants to deal with shares online but obviously pay as little commission as possible.

I have used TD Investments (was moved over when Natwest Stockbrokers closed) which does what he needs but are there any better companies out there?

Any advice/experiences welcome

For the miniscule amount of trading I do I use Share Deal Active, part of Jarvis Investment Management. It's always worked so far and their customer service is good.

It's a flat rate of £9.50 per trade execution only (no advice), internet or phone.

Put your money in a oxo tin on the mantelpiece, it never failed my NAN :D

I daresay her OXO tin in itself was a shrewd investment.

I use IWeb, £5 a trade, although not sure what their account opening fee is these days.

I use Halifax share dealing. Once a month or so they have discounted dealing days, these are only £3.95 per deal for 2 or 3 hours on that day.

If you opt to invest an amount per month, in their share builder, then it's only £2 per trade.

bob,

Is your friend an experienced investor or a noob to the wonders of the stockmarket?

bob,

Is your friend an experienced investor or a noob to the wonders of the stockmarket?

Very much a noob and will be dabbling in it for the first time.

Very much a noob and will be dabbling in it for the first time.

Uh oh. Risky business.

Do you know what shares your mate is thinking of buying?

Tell him to:
do a lot of research,

not to believe anybody on a financial BB,

to read RNSes with his skeptical, cynical specs on,

pay close attention to shorters - they do the best research, risk their own money & are in many ways the only regulators of the market, especially AIM. They are the modern day equivalent of a canary down a coal mine,

If it seems to good to be true it invariably is - see QPP, GBO & most recent AIM Chinese companies (watch JSI this week) to name but a very few.

listen closely to negative views & comments, particularly from proven fraud spotters who commentate / investigate the market,

Avoid popular shares - the more popular it is & the busier the financial BBs are with retail punters the wider a berth it deserves,

avoid any stock where the holders profess they "believe in the company". Investing shouldn't be akin to a religious thing.

HTH

Thank you neilrr, that was very helpful. He has wanted to do it for a long time (nothing big time, say £2k overall) but has not had the time. He asked me to look into it for him as I have sold for a family member before but that was different.

I use TD Waterhouse and Barclays Stockbrokers both very good in the set up to buy and sell.
I've sold all of my major holdings now but had a very good run from 2011 where I bought a considerable number of RR holdings at 600 and sold for 1200. QQ and Vodafone where also very profitable in the time I sold.
The reason I pulled out was because one, I'd made a packet and two, I felt the market was overheating along with classic cars and houses and thought (wrongly) we were about to experience a major re-adjustment not quite a black swan event but potentially devastating.
So far I've got that wrong but I still keep the profits after tax ready for opportunistic purchases in the event of my timing being way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom