Sheraton hotel Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Delayed Steve

Car
2016 C200 coupe
Guys ,has anyone had any experience of the hotel ?
I've booked a few days there for my wife's birthday ,she wants to see the Royal yacht. I booked it because the website says it's got it's own car park, my question is ,will it be difficult to get a parking space there or would I be better looking for flights ? We're arriving on a Sunday afternoon at the end of July.
I don't want to have to park miles away from the hotel in a city I don't know and end up walking home:bannana:
Thanks

Sheraton is built on top of a massive public carpark, entrance via West Approach Rd. Don't know if they have dedicated spaces but it might be worthwhile to ask. Probably charge for them too but that's becoming the norm everywhere now :mad: and Edinburgh is notorious for expensive parking.
How about getting the train up? Easy trip from Manc Piccadilly/or through train from airport and get off at Edin Haymarket then short taxi ride to hotel. Airports are a pain for a short break.

Certainly Sheraton central to city for sights and eating out. A bus ride to Royal Yacht unless you drive there but busses are easier.

Edit: £12 per night for residents. http://www.sheratonedinburgh.co.uk/carpark

Last edited:
Think you can now jump on a tram from the airport , and they run along Princes St ( about 400 yds from the hotel ) and , I think they go all the way down Leith Walk to Ocean Terminal ?

Edit - see link below - they do start at the airport and you can get off at Princes St West end , close to the hotel , but they only go as far as the top of Leith Walk - see map in link .

Sheraton Hotel is on Lothian Rd .

http://edinburghtrams.com/plan-a-journey/route-map/#stop-west-end-princes-street

Last edited:
Oh - if driving into Edinburgh , be wary of the bus lanes : some are active all the time , and if you accidentally stray into one , they have these cameras which send you a nice little commendation through the post ...

Think you can now jump on a tram from the airport , and they run along Princes St ( about 400 yds from the hotel ) and , I think they go all the way down Leith Walk to Ocean Terminal ?

The trams only go as far as York Place which is just next to where Leith Walk starts from the city centre.

This was part of the fiasco - the route was curtailed. So not only did it cost more than it should :wallbash:, take longer to build than it should :fail, but doesn't even go as far as it should. :doh:

Sheraton is built on top of a massive public carpark, entrance via West Approach Rd. Don't know if they have dedicated spaces but it might be worthwhile to ask. Probably charge for them too but that's becoming the norm everywhere now :mad: and Edinburgh is notorious for expensive parking.

Edit: £12 per night for residents. Sheraton Edinburgh Hotel | Car Parking

£12 is something of a bargain. I was looking at hotels in Amsterdam the other day and as I know the centre is expensive I was looking further out, thinking I could get the metro or a tram into the middle.

The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South (some 5km south of Dam Square) was looking likely, until I saw the parking rate. €60 a day! **** right off.

Cheers,

Gaz

Thanks guys.
We were planning on using the buses once we're there, I was just after somewhere safe to park my car . I'm going price up the train and plane but the car is the easiest option due to my wife suffering with travel sickness,she can share the driving and we can stop if she starts feeling ill.
Twelve pounds isn't that bad, you expect to get ripped off in a capital city.
Really looking forward to going, we thought we'd better go before we need to use our passports to get there lol.

£12 is something of a bargain. I was looking at hotels in Amsterdam the other day and as I know the centre is expensive I was looking further out, thinking I could get the metro or a tram into the middle.

The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South (some 5km south of Dam Square) was looking likely, until I saw the parking rate. €60 a day! **** right off.

Cheers,

Gaz

With Amsterdam I'd always fly , then walk downstairs to catch the train into the city centre - unless it was part of a longer road trip .

With Amsterdam I'd always fly , then walk downstairs to catch the train into the city centre - unless it was part of a longer road trip .
Agreed. And with the amount of time you spend taxiing at AMS you feel as though you've done a road trip anyway ;)

BTW, download the NS Rail app to your smartphone before travelling to Holland if you're planning to travel by rail. It's a model for how a smartphone app can enhance public transport :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deffo. It's just we're going to be in that neck of the woods next month in the car, and it's been a few years since we were there so we were going to stop for a couple of days.

We've decided to skip it this time, Amsterdam is so easy to get to we can go whenever. 20 minutes to our local airport, turn up half an hour before take-off and waltz through security with a carry-on. 40 minutes in the air and you're there. Then as you say, train from Schiphol to Centraal and walk out into the city..

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom