Should 4matic change gears at much higher revs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ray-GLA

Car
GLA220
Hi all,

I'm not a petrol head so apologies if I get my terminology wrong. We recently bought a 2014 GLA 220 4matic, It was raining heavily the other day and I thought it was an opportunity to try the 4matic mode for the first time. I found it changed gears ( at least 1 to 4) at pretty high revs ( late 3k/early4k) vs say if it was in ECO or SPORT mode which change late 2k, mid 3k respectively under normal driving. ( there is no comfort mode on this model).

Is this normal expected behavior ? perhaps my initial thoughts on how I might utilize the 4matic mode were misplaced and its intended only really for real offride or icy conditions? it just feels like it changes gears very late for a comfortable, quiet ride.

thanks in advance

I assumed the same as renault12ts, that's it's permanent AWD. I've got a CLA250 4matic and not noticed it change differently. Only does this when I put it into sport or switch to manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought these were full time 4wd.

well i am glad I posted this question because I realized I totally misunderstood the button on the dash ( and so did the salesman !)

It doesn't switch to 4wd, its an Off road program. This clarifies it a lot.

The off-road program assists you in driving
off-road. The engine's performance characteristics
and the gearshifting characteristics
of the automatic transmission are adapted for
this purpose. ABS, ESP® and ETS programs
especially adapted to off-road driving are also
activated.

"Trust me, I'm a salesman". I know what I'm talking about.

Assuming it was a main dealer salesman, that's pretty poor if (s)he didn't know, as 4matic is a fairly common fitment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom