Should I buy the new C Class Coupe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While you are at the dealer, have a look at the E class. I just got an E class cab as it was cheaper on finance than the C class at the time. Some cracking deals and very pleased with my buy.

Thank you very much for your experience to date. I must get a few specs together and pass it by you!

I am also thinking becker over command. Interesting about the seats. So are the non leather seats feel and look like the real thing?

How do you find the drive in terms of firmness on the road?

I got my c250 CDI coupe a month ago. I come from BMW and I always thought BMW cannot be touch in terms of handling. The C class drives as well or better than the 320d m sport I tried which was a big surprise. I am not looking back now. :thumb:

While you are at the dealer, have a look at the E class. I just got an E class cab as it was cheaper on finance than the C class at the time. Some cracking deals and very pleased with my buy.

E class look very smart indeed. Cannot go wrong with one if they are priced similarly to the c class.

SammyC said:
Thank you very much for your experience to date. I must get a few specs together and pass it by you!

I am also thinking becker over command. Interesting about the seats. So are the non leather seats feel and look like the real thing?

How do you find the drive in terms of firmness on the road?

I prefer the non leather seats, for some reason they feel like they are heated when they aren't. Had a few people ask if they were heated :)

Like I said its just really only opening up but in terms of firmness I also believe its better than the BMW.

How good is the new C Class Coupe? I have it on my short list but was wondering from current owners what their thoughts are on the car. Pros and cons. Any regrets or is it a dream?

I picked up mine just over a week ago and have done 900 miles in it so far. I think it's fantastic. Smooth to drive and quiet despite the sports suspension and skinnyish tyres, it certainly goes alright though I'm still being very gentle with my right foot while the engine beds in.

It's a bit grumbly noisy at low revs, being a diesel and last week after an hour and a half of playing music from the USB stick it suddenly announced "cannot read USB media" for no apparent reason but it's happily reading another stick so maybe that was just a mad moment ... I need to investigate some more.

On a practical note, the boot is very large and carries a load of stuff which I have to take around with me for work. The 7GTronic auto gearbox seems fine too - the occasional clunky shift but by and large unobtrusive.

Oh, and I got the Becker Map Pilot thrown in by the dealer; so far I'm impressed, it's got clear directions, lane guidance, has found every address I've given it.

And the reception on the radio is astonishing, I keep getting Traffic Announcement info from stations that are miles away... (actually that's a bit of a pain but it's easily cancelled)

All my colleagues at work are deeply envious which is amusing too!

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:
I picked up mine just over a week ago and have done 900 miles in it so far. I think it's fantastic. Smooth to drive and quiet despite the sports suspension and skinnyish tyres, it certainly goes alright though I'm still being very gentle with my right foot while the engine beds in.

It's a bit grumbly noisy at low revs, being a diesel and last week after an hour and a half of playing music from the USB stick it suddenly announced "cannot read USB media" for no apparent reason but it's happily reading another stick so maybe that was just a mad moment ... I need to investigate some more.

On a practical note, the boot is very large and carries a load of stuff which I have to take around with me for work. The 7GTronic auto gearbox seems fine too - the occasional clunky shift but by and large unobtrusive.

Oh, and I got the Becker Map Pilot thrown in by the dealer; so far I'm impressed, it's got clear directions, lane guidance, has found every address I've given it.

And the reception on the radio is astonishing, I keep getting Traffic Announcement info from stations that are miles away... (actually that's a bit of a pain but it's easily cancelled)

All my colleagues at work are deeply envious which is amusing too!

Cheers
Dave

I did notice the boot size is quite generous on the coupe.
My dilemma is whether to get the Becker or the command. But the command is quite an expensive bit of kit. On the Becker - does it have voice control? Also my tom tom tells you which lane to get into on junctions etc. Does the Becker do this as well?
What sound set up do you have?
All in all it seems positive with owners of the coupe so far.
One question I do have.
In 3 years what do you think the anticipated value of the car would be? I am looking at the new finance deals announced the other day and luckily the coupe offers haven’t changed.

Becker does not even begin to compare with Comand.

I had the becker in a loan car recently.....useless. I was repeatedly sent to the wrong location and it constantly comes up with an "off road" message.

Comand all day long

I did notice the boot size is quite generous on the coupe.
My dilemma is whether to get the Becker or the command. But the command is quite an expensive bit of kit. On the Becker - does it have voice control? Also my tom tom tells you which lane to get into on junctions etc. Does the Becker do this as well?
All in all it seems positive with owners of the coupe so far.
One question I do have.
In 3 years what do you think the anticipated value of the car would be? I am looking at the new finance deals announced the other day and luckily the coupe offers haven’t changed.

The coupe I test drove had command and although I did enjoy the larger screen there was nothing else I needed, the 10gb hard drive it has I use a USB stick, the sat nav, I have Becker, using the internet, the car uses the phones internet so I may as well pull over and use my iphone. Based on those facts I found myself not needing the command.

I have found the Becker Sat Nav very good, sometimes freezes but it's just a simple reset. I find the TA on the Audio 20 very annoying so I use the one on the Becker, find that very useful as it doesn't shout at you every minute.

It takes a while to get use to the Voice Command feature but once you are use to it, it's very good. Finds the roads I want straight away without having to repeat myself.

The Becker unit does have the lane feature, it's very similar to the tomtom.

Any other queries?

The coupe I test drove had command and although I did enjoy the larger screen there was nothing else I needed, the 10gb hard drive it has I use a USB stick, the sat nav, I have Becker, using the internet, the car uses the phones internet so I may as well pull over and use my iphone. Based on those facts I found myself not needing the command.

I have found the Becker Sat Nav very good, sometimes freezes but it's just a simple reset. I find the TA on the Audio 20 very annoying so I use the one on the Becker, find that very useful as it doesn't shout at you every minute.

It takes a while to get use to the Voice Command feature but once you are use to it, it's very good. Finds the roads I want straight away without having to repeat myself.

The Becker unit does have the lane feature, it's very similar to the tomtom.

Any other queries?

+1
Becker works better than the Tom Tom on my iPhone. It does everything you need for a sat nav. Command adds a 10gb hdd but you can have 64gb USB for next to nothing. Same with the SD card slot. Screen is bigger and you get a few other aids with it but you better spend the money on the HK upgrade in my opinion.

Maybe I had a faulty one but I suspect not as the salesman told me they had had many complaints regarding the becker. Depends what you need it for, if like me you are continually vising new customers then I would not consider anything other than comand.

Has anyone got any details on the sports plus model. Ive heard that it has changed bodykit and few interior changes but cant see any details on mercedes website?

Thanks for the replies. The best thing is for me to try them out at the dealership and see what they are like. I don't do mass travelling to new places but would like a sat nav option. My other question is if went for Becker can this be done at a later stage? Is all the pre-wiring there unlike Command?
Also - any of guys bought the cars on Agility finance?

SammyC said:
Thanks for the replies. The best thing is for me to try them out at the dealership and see what they are like. I don't do mass travelling to new places but would like a sat nav option. My other question is if went for Becker can this be done at a later stage? Is all the pre-wiring there unlike Command?

I purchased my most recent vehicle on a 2 year PCP agility deal. Early days so far but the process was simple enough.

Yes - the Becker can be added afterwards. I purchased mine off eBay at nearly half the price that merc were offering.

What is your take on agility in terms of deposit? Is it better to put as little or as much as you can on the deposit?
The thing I can't figure out is as the C Coupe is a new range what the future value of the car would be if all in fine shape in 3 years?
For example on Agility they are saying a £34730 would be £16500 on GMFV. But I am hoping they would obviously want to keep you as a future customer so would offer you more on a p/e.

SammyC said:
For example on Agility they are saying a £34730 would be £16500 on GMFV. But I am hoping they would obviously want to keep you as a future customer so would offer you more on a p/e.

No they'll offer less as a PX and make you feel chuft you went on agility as it saved you from a larger depreciation hit.

Then they'll ask you what you can afford per month and you get into agility on another new car in that price range.

It's how it works.

No they'll offer less as a PX and make you feel chuft you went on agility as it saved you from a larger depreciation hit.

Then they'll ask you what you can afford per month and you get into agility on another new car in that price range.

It's how it works.

So i am probably better off selling the car privately than p/e after 3 years

As others have already said, yes the Becker has voice control (though I didn't even realise this 'til I read the other replies but I tried it tonight and it happily recognised my home address).

Yes it also gives lane directions, both on the screen and in what it says to you (the latter in the sense that it says keep left or keep right etc)

I have to go to different locations every day for work and so far - touch wood - it's been fine, very pleased with it. There's the occasional oddity when it thinks the road carries on when in fact the junction layout means you need to turn but every satnav I've used has these peculiarities which as far as I'm concerned simply mean I ought to know where I'm going any only use the satnav as backup anyway.

Pity the last map update was Q2 2011 though, could do with some newer info as roads have inevitably changed a bit.

The trouble with "COMAND" is that it's so darned expensive and it doesn't seem to offer much more than MapPilot for the money in my opinion.

I have the standard sound set-up because I'm too poor to shell out for an upgrade. Possibly a mistake but it's fine unless you're a hifi buff, I think.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:
As others have already said, yes the Becker has voice control (though I didn't even realise this 'til I read the other replies but I tried it tonight and it happily recognised my home address).

Yes it also gives lane directions, both on the screen and in what it says to you (the latter in the sense that it says keep left or keep right etc)

I have to go to different locations every day for work and so far - touch wood - it's been fine, very pleased with it. There's the occasional oddity when it thinks the road carries on when in fact the junction layout means you need to turn but every satnav I've used has these peculiarities which as far as I'm concerned simply mean I ought to know where I'm going any only use the satnav as backup anyway.

Pity the last map update was Q2 2011 though, could do with some newer info as roads have inevitably changed a bit.

The trouble with "COMAND" is that it's so darned expensive and it doesn't seem to offer much more than MapPilot for the money in my opinion.

I have the standard sound set-up because I'm too poor to shell out for an upgrade. Possibly a mistake but it's fine unless you're a hifi buff, I think.

Cheers
Dave

That's good to hear. The thing i do like about my tomtom right now is the fact it tells you which lane to get in. I find it quite useful. Glad the Becker does the same.

I just can't figure out for a slightly larger screen and a hardrive it is a tad expensive.

Does the Coupe come with the iPhone connector in the armrest centre console? Is bluetooth an extra cost?

I know this is a random question.... but what do you reckon in 3 years time the Coupe would be worth 2nd hand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom