Should I Buy This At This Price?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, it was registered in May 2006, so it should be a 2006 model, surely?

I just paid £6.5K privately for a 350 petrol, almost exactly two years younger, 88K miles, FSH, in Indium Grey not black, with a rather better spec - COMAND, full parking sensors - in nice condition, with no wear showing on the driver's seat bolster, which had been for sale for a while at that price.

I'd say that one was overpriced, but of course it's a diesel.

Have you spoken to the seller to find out more information ? He hasn't exactly gone overboard with his description.

Well, it was registered in May 2006, so it should be a 2006 model, surely?

Model years don't necessarily follow registered years.

No, generally they don't, in fact; they are usually announced about October the year before, ready for the new year. If a 2005 MY was registered in May 2006, it could be old stock, of course. Or are Mercedes different?

Fair enough; old stock, then, or ordered late in the year and not delivered until the following year.

I've never heard of the 'clk 280 Ponton 190' model, though...:D

Yes, JBD told me this situation is old stock hanging around and is common on certain models.

Build date on that car was 01/06/2005 if that's of interest to anyone...

That car is about £3.5 - £4k at auction. Foot mats still in the boot make me think that's where it came from.

That doesn't make it a bad car, but I think at that price it's expensive. £5k, maybe a little more if it's perfect would be right from a dealer with warranty, FSH, good tyres etc.

I ended up buying it and paying the full price because I was in a rush to get back to work with an estate that has a decent payload for all the work-related carting about I have to do.

It's perfectly fine (so far) but I must say the change from my fully loaded W210 to this W211 is a bit of a shock. This W211 is like a Ford Mondeo. It even has a 'poundland' collapsible crate under the floor of the boot.

Everything is bizarre and feels cheap and nasty.

And no proper chunky buttons to press. I always knew it couldn't carry as much as the W210 estate. Some computer has been employed to shave everything down to the minimum and it looks a mess.

W210 E320 CDI Estate: Good.

W211 E320 CDI Estate: Disappointing.

Modern Life Is Rubbish (and so is that Blur album).

The W211 has, in most people's opinion, a much better dashboard than the W210, and I find very comfortable seats - more so than my W210 (both Avant Garde trim with a decent spec). I can't say I've noticed significantly lower quality in the materials or finish, either, and if feels like a much more modern car. The load area, seats up, doesn't seem much less than the W210 either.

It wouldn't be a hardship to go back to a W210, but I'd not do so voluntarily; the W211 is a better car.

Good luck with it. If the mileage is genuine and the service history good, it should be fine.

Mercious said:
I ended up buying it and paying the full price because I was in a rush to get back to work with an estate that has a decent payload for all the work-related carting about I have to do. It's perfectly fine (so far) but I must say the change from my fully loaded W210 to this W211 is a bit of a shock. This W211 is like a Ford Mondeo. It even has a 'poundland' collapsible crate under the floor of the boot. Everything is bizarre and feels cheap and nasty. And no proper chunky buttons to press. I always knew it couldn't carry as much as the W210 estate. Some computer has been employed to shave everything down to the minimum and it looks a mess. W210 E320 CDI Estate: Good. W211 E320 CDI Estate: Disappointing. Modern Life Is Rubbish (and so is that Blur album).

Fully agree

Thanks E55BOF.

I suppose any 'new' car takes some getting used to.

I was just looking at the tread on the tyres. They're on 16 inch wheels so actually have some side wall.

But there's some suspension part that sits about an inch above the front tyres. Very close!

I've ordered an Haynes manual so I'll get to know the car in time.

Plus it's a V6 so it warms to around 80 degrees c and stays steady. My W210 had a straight 6 and it didn't get much above 60 degrees c and popped the injector seal on the back pot a couple of times.

Maybe 80 degrees c is a bit high?

Time to sort out the coolant? And the last owner didn't put any screen cleaner in the washers. Just water. I hate this! I must get this car sorted re those little things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom