Should I warm the engine up or drive of straight away?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Michaels

Car
2008 C-Class 180 SE Kompressor 1.8 Saloon
Hello I got a Merc 2008 180SE Kompressor 1.8 Petrol 3 weeks ago and someone told me yesterday not to warm the engine up before driving in the cold weather and just go. He said that these engines don't need warming up, that it actually could do harm to them? Your input is much appreciated. Thank you.

Hello I got a Merc 2008 180SE Kompressor 1.8 Petrol 3 weeks ago and someone told me yesterday not to warm the engine up before driving in the cold weather and just go. He said that these engines don't need warming up, that it actually could do harm to them? Your input is much appreciated. Thank you.

Yep, I believe the common consensus is it’s better to drive as soon as possible after starting a cold engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct: you should start up, run for a few seconds to get the oil flowing and then drive off.

The engine will warm up quicker if put under load, the gearbox oil will not warm up until you start driving and it reduces emissions.

I've always been told to drive off straight away and allow the engine to warm up as you drive, obviously don't race the engine until properly warm and make sure windows are clear. End of driving lesson...now usually if it's really cold and frosty I'll start the car, set the air con to demist and go and have a cuppa...just make sure nobody is going to nick it 'cos insurance won't pay out !!

There seems to be a duplicate thread going on so which one to post in ?

On the subject of warming up and the need to keep the revs down. Yes high revs should be avoided but given the huge torque that modern forced induction engines have at low revs then excessively low revs should also be avoided. Most of the initial rise in oil temperature is produced by the frictional losses due to oil drag rather than heat conduction from the combustion process so the oil will warm up faster at higher revs. A happy medium would be to avoid lugging along below 1500 RPM and avoid revs in excess of 3000 RPM. On a manual box you can stay out of 5th or 6th for a while. Do the modern auto boxes do the same thing and keep the revs up a little until the engine is warm.

Thank you for so many replies. I tend to believe that starting and driving rather then warming up is propably what to do. But the confusion never ends, an hour ago during cleaning the car up a bit, I found the handbook from Mercedes which was hidden in the spare tyre. It says warm engine up. So what to do?

Thank you for so many replies. I tend to believe that starting and driving target then warning up is propably true. But an hour ago during cleaning the car up a bit I found the handbook from Mercedes which was hidden in the spare tyre. It says warm engine up. So what to do?
Surely it says warm engine up before driving it hard (or words to that effect), not before driving off?

If so, then the best way of warming-up an engine is by moderately driving the car, so the owners manual does not actually contradict the advice given above.

Surely it says warm engine up before driving it hard (or words to that effect), not before driving off?

If so, then the best way of warming-up an engine is by moderately driving the car, so the owners manual does not actually contradict the advice given above.

I have to have another look, just not at home at the moment. I let you know. But driving of moderately makes perfect sense to me, when the temperature reading says 80 I reckon from then on its okay. How long that takes I don't know yet, our streets are busy, narrow and full of screw drivers thinking they are Stirling Moss.

I have a C350e. I have to watch it because, generally, my engine has not run when I need the extra power. I worry about calling on the engine to do hard work when it’s stone cold having run on electric since I started.

...it's actually an offence to leave a vehicle unattended with the engine running on a public road...
And your insurance company will be none too sympathetic when you tell them that the keys were in the ignition and the engine was warm and running when your car was stolen.

no , just drive , your wasting fuel .

A cold engine should never be revved or laboured. I normally open the door put key in start up let it idle while I get in and belt up, then drop it in drive and off we go. From home to the A roads I can't get much above 1500 RPM and by the time I am on the M56 the temp is well on the way up.

And your insurance company will be none too sympathetic when you tell them that the keys were in the ignition and the engine was warm and running when your car was stolen.
In my area where I live, you could not leave the car on its own idling When you come back the car will be gone.

A cold engine should never be revved or laboured. I normally open the door put key in start up let it idle while I get in and belt up, then drop it in drive and off we go. From home to the A roads I can't get much above 1500 RPM and by the time I am on the M56 the temp is well on the way up.
I now start the engine and drive if slowly towards the main road to warm up and watch the temperatur. When it's up to 80 which doesnt take long iam at the main road and drive normal. New thing for me since today.

Due to peculiarities of CVT in my A200, I had to wait for the revs to drop below 1000rpm - it usually takes a minute, if that.
Same was true for W168 auto.
My old X204 (GLK350 4Matic) would normally be off in a split second ... but then it lived in Florida ;)

Start

Drive gently until warmed thoroughly. This ensures that the entire drivetrain is up to temperature and properly lubricated before being put under load.

It will also help prolong any existing wear by previous owners

OP, the car is 10 years old. just get in it and drive, what's more important is whether the FIRST owner drove it properly. Whatever you do now is not going to make much difference to the engine, obviously you want to treat it right or you would never have posted the question. But any damage done (if any) was done years ago.

I have no idea who put the first 100000 miles on my car and how they drove it, if I was that concerned I would never have bought it. Just enjoy your MB.

PS from what I hear about this (Mitsubishi ?) engine is that you should be more concerned about the cam chain and sprockets. Others on here know way more than I do , but they are a weak spot that trashes the engine and usually scraps the car. Check if they have been done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom