Should I warm the engine up or drive of straight away?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok now I know to drive of slowly after about 11-15 seconds.
This propably sounds daft but I have never had a car which I had to drive slowly at first to warm up.

How slow is the question
Right now iam annoying other drivers driving really really really slow, even put the warning blinkers on so they just pass by lol.
Where I live there are no traffic free streets and there is always someone coming up wanting to take over.
So forgive my ignorance please, but what is a safe speed to start off with an ice cold engine?

And for how long to maintain that speed before driving normal? The temperature display I have is I read the coolant temperature.

2008 180SE 1.8 kompressor petrol

Many thanks

Right now iam annoying other drivers driving really really really slow, even put the warning blinkers on so they just pass by lol.

Not that slow. :)

Slow meaning, don’t floor it. Gentle acceleration, but I would say it’s completely fine to travel at the speed limit of said road. Honestly mate chill out.

Not that slow. :)

Slow meaning, don’t floor it. Gentle acceleration, but I would say it’s completely fine to travel at the speed limit of said road. Honestly mate chill out.
Ok thanks :) I take your word for it before I get dead threats through the door. This is my first petrol car ever since 1976.

Ok thanks :) I take your word for it before I get dead threats through the door. This is my first petrol car ever since 1976.

Lol no worries mate. Just take it easy till It’s up to operating temp

I thought it was a 'Man' thing. None of that 'Foreplay' nonsense. Get straight in it and get straight on with it.

My understanding (often wrong) is that modern engines and lubricants (including coolants) are designed and manufactured so that they coat the surface that they are lubricating. This coating is almost permanent and will stick whilst the engine is not in use = turning.

Starting the car with no foot on the gas and allowing it a few seconds to circulate oil via the pump is not a bad thing to do.

Starting the car and driving off at moderate speed is also not a bad thing to do.

Starting the car, right foot to the floor and scaring small furry animals out of hibernation also making old ladies break wind, is probably just not a good thing to do for prolonging the life of the engine.

That said, many AMG's are fitted from the factory with Auto-Bark, this blips the throttle on cold start and can see shares in the local launderette rise sharply. My own C55 is very tappety (technical term) on sub zero mornings. As is my V6 Pajero and 'V8 X5'. I believe that this is due to the lifters waiting to fill up with oil, which takes slightly longer in very cold temperatures.

I use the recommended oils (Mobil 1 etc) to no avail. I did try a heavier oil in the Pajero and it made it sound like a Skeleton knocking one out in a tin dustbin. I have now reverted back to Mobil 1 in that, and it is very quiet with about 20 secs of startup.

And I thought old lady's break wind anyway lol. I am just purchasing Ceratec from Liqui Moli on Amazon. That really helped with my old motor a 2002 C220 CDI The engine sound rough and I bought a 300ml tin. It puts a ceramic coating on the inner workings of the engine and as a result after about 60 miles or so, the engine run softer and quieter. I also added a k&n air filter which seemed to have an effect on acceleration. So I buy one of them as well unless members advice me otherwise.
When I bought the car recently, the engine sounded quite but now it seems a bit louder. Maybe it's the cold, who knows. Thanks for your reply.

Ok now I know to drive of slowly after about 11-15 seconds.
This propably sounds daft but I have never had a car which I had to drive slowly at first to warm up.

How slow is the question
Where I live there are no traffic free streets and there is always someone coming up wanting to take over.
So forgive my ignorance please, but what is a safe speed to start off with an ice cold engine?

And for how long to maintain that speed before driving normal? The temperature display I have is I read the coolant temperature.

2008 180SE 1.8 kompressor petrol

Many thanks

For goodness sake you are being ridiculous. Just get in your car and drive as normal. You are not in a Ferrari about to race.

Your car is 10 years old, what do you think the other owners did to it?

For goodness sake you are being ridiculous. Just get in your car and drive as normal. You are not in a Ferrari about to race.

Your car is 10 years old, what do you think the other owners did to it?
That is not the advice I got from other members. Putting into consideration the cold temperatures it's best to not immediately drive as normal, but keep the revs down at first. Idling is definitely not adviced to warm up the engine, but also not driving off straight away as normal. The whole subject was fuel consumption increase in cold winter months and the best way to keep it low.

That is not the advice I got from other members. Putting into consideration the cold temperatures it's best to not immediately drive as normal, but keep the revs down at first. Idling is definitely not adviced to warm up the engine, but also not driving off straight away as normal. The whole subject was fuel consumption increase in cold winter months and the best way to keep it low.
Were you advised to drive so slowly you would annoy other drivers and have to put your hazard warning lights on? NO. Drive it like you stole it...your car will survive, trust me.

Drive it normally, but do not floor it or push it hard until it’s warm. It’s really simple :)

When I awake in the morning should I use the upstairs toilet immediately and risk upsetting the wife or should I wait and go downstairs out of earshot?

My mate said I should go outside with the dog as the fresh air is healthier for us both but I'm unsure, on the upside I could put the kettle on first and it would be nearly boiled while I circle the garden seeking out the perfect location.

Is there any chance that the foxes and cats would keep out if the garden was scented by me in this way?

...A slow cool down is also very important on turbocharged engines. It prevents oil sludge build up in the turbo bearings.

Hope this helps,

Rob ..

This thread is much better with a bit of degradation which is why I'm unsure whether to take it seriously or not.

Cooling down turbos was a big thing when they were oil cooled but they have been water cooled for some time so not an issue any more.

Do I need a slow cool down for my supercharger ?

As a general rule of thumb, I would absolutely always cool down before switch off. By this I mean, after a motorway run, the last few miles before home (A / B roads) drive gently.

Very best,

Rob ..

PS: Turbos may well be water cooled, but they are lubricated by the engine oil and this is what can sludge up in the bearings when very hot and the engine shut off (over multiple cycles). Regarding superchargers, I would advise a similar cool down although they work off the crank as opposed to exhaust gasses. I think it's just best practice.

Last edited:
As a general rule of thumb, I would absolutely always cool down before switch off. By this I mean, after a motorway run, the last few miles before home (A / B roads) drive gently.

Very best,

Rob ..

PS: Turbos may well be water cooled, but they are lubricated by the engine oil and this is what can sludge up in the bearings when very hot and the engine shut off (over multiple cycles). Regarding superchargers, I would advise a similar cool down although they work off the crank as opposed to exhaust gasses. I think it's just best practice.

As already mentioned by 190, turbo "cool down" is a legacy from the 80's and 90's. Fine, if you want to gently drive the last mile or 100 metres home. If you leave the car idling on the highway you will stand the chance of getting fined. Also don't forget you will sell the car before you get enough time to damage the motor. Simples.

I haven't read all of this, but to answer to title question - if you have ever been to a race track then you'll understand how they warm up an engine, for a road car I don't bother with it, never have, and never had an engine or drive train go on me. By the time an average car comes up to full working temp, including all the fluids, takes about 5 miles at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom