should poor people be allowed to have 9 kids?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Red trousers. Not that bad are they?

Anyway, no I don't think it's responsible of any family of limited means to have lots of kids. Ignoring the tax burden for a moment, the children are less likely to be given the opportunities, attention, discipline and material possessions we apparently need to progress in the world. I'd hope that all could find their own way out of the disadvantaged surroundings in later life, but statistically and realistically, many won't. And the cycle continues.

Although the "cycle of deprivation" is a favourite of right wing speakers,the evidence to back it up is thin to say the least. However the question is not should they be allowed to but how could one stop them even if it were desirable?
Force? a little too Nazi Germany for most of us I hope
Stop their benefits? then the innocent children who didn't ask to be born suffer extra poverty to add to their lot. Is this right?
Education? worked well up to now and if you add in the rights view on sex education for the young not going to happen is it?

You prevent this by discouraging people from having kids they cannot afford.

You do this by halting the current sprog spawn reward scheme we have as it amounts to little more than a reverse Darwin breeding programme.

Last edited:
I believe that the mother of the family in question had 4 of the kids from a previous relationship and 3 from the current relationship. The father had no previous kids. What you are advocating is that this father has no rights to have children due to his current employment status? This may have happened if the second world war result had been reversed.
However, his attitude to the welfare state was rather selfish stating that he had paid into the system for 23 years and he felt entitled to get some of it back. Not right either!

I think it should be the same with all things in this life if you can't afford it you cant have it!
Tony.

Red trousers. Not that bad are they?

Anyway, no I don't think it's responsible of any family of limited means to have lots of kids. Ignoring the tax burden for a moment, the children are less likely to be given the opportunities, attention, discipline and material possessions we apparently need to progress in the world. I'd hope that all could find their own way out of the disadvantaged surroundings in later life, but statistically and realistically, many won't. And the cycle continues.
yes more little toddler chavs eventually growing up tp become criminals and so it goes on and on , that bloke had the snip to late he should of had it earlier ,

What you are advocating is that this father has no rights to have children due to his current employment status? This may have happened if the second world war result had been reversed.

Actually we didnt have a benefits system until after the war.

I think it is quite simple really, if you cant afford to have children then don't have them. People thing they have a right to have children at the expense of the taxpayer and that is wholly wrong.

Stop their benefits? then the innocent children who didn't ask to be born suffer extra poverty to add to their lot. Is this right?

And your solution is? :dk:

Hi yes they can have as many kids as they want just as long as I do not have to pay for them,stop child benefit after 2 children and watch the birth rate drop like a stone.!!!

Hi yes they can have as many kids as they want just as long as I do not have to pay for them,stop child benefit after 2 children and watch the birth rate drop like a stone.!!!

The cost of children goes deeper than just child benefit. Health care and education to name two.

You also have to change the housing waiting list rules to prioritise those families that are working over those that are able to but wont.

We can't ban poor people (those on benefits) from having large families that they're unable to support, but we should at least try to discourage them. It can't possibly be in the best interests of the children to be brought up under such conditions.

Many parents in these situations talk about "their right to have as many children as they want". Nobody has a right to have any children. Most people are lucky enough to be able to have children, but what about those who can't? Why do they automatically have to forgoe this "right"?

Those who have the long-term means to raise children are free to do so. Those who can't afford them shouldn't have them. I would love to have more cars but I can't afford them without a significant reduction in my lifestyle, so I don't have them.

The unemployed families featured in the TV programme strongly defend their rights to have big families. But they don't seem to possess any desire to take responsibility for them. The final episode includes "For Dean and Claire this is a rare night off from the children to go to the opening night [of a pub]." I could only afford to have two children, but we NEVER left them with anyone else whilst we went off for the evening. They were our responsibility and not playthings to be offloaded onto others when we wanted "a night off". Far too many people consider children as accessories, and because they get help funding their hobby they continue to build on their collection with little or no concern for the consequences!

And your solution is? :dk:

Sorry, I don't have one.I do not profess to be superior to all those who have struggled with the problem since industrialisation. Does anyone have an answer that doesn't involve either force or more hardship on the children?

Problems need solutions,merely iterating them to make us feel better doesn't get us anything other than a feeling of smug superiority or an opportunity to air views that the Nazi party would feel ashamed of.

Would that I could come up with a humane solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom