Signature Warranties.. RIP - when ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

exiges

To me, Signature Warranties have been one of the great things about owning a Mercedes.. a good manufacturer backed warranty that can be extended for 10yrs.

However, my CL has just turned 3yrs and after much haggling and fighting with Merc HQ just to even talk to me about an extended warranty, it seems the they don't offer signature warranties now, but use a 3rd party called Mondial. When did that happen ? I can't find anything about Signature Warranties on the MB website any more.

Not only that, what is covered is more restricted that before, previously it was pretty much a top to bottom warranty, now there are clauses and caveats all over the policy. Hmm

Also, people keep saying that Service Plus is a good alternative/replacement for a warranty. Will Service Plus cover you if your engine goes *bang* ?

Also, people keep saying that Service Plus is a good alternative/replacement for a warranty. Will Service Plus cover you if your engine goes *bang* ?

Yes - if it's wear and tear and not misuse or production fault.

Thanks for the quick reply.

And if it's a production fault ?

It's a CL65, a replacement engine isn't something I fancy forking out for !

Thanks for the quick reply.

And if it's a production fault ?

It's a CL65, a replacement engine isn't something I fancy forking out for !

You'd be looking at the fit for purpose side of things - but how often do the engines blow up ;)

I’m a born sceptic and when ServicePlus was discussed at length on this and the other forum I did say that I was concerned about MB saying things hadn’t worn out but had simply failed.

It’s pretty clear from the wording of ServicePlus that MB intended it to cover servicing (obviously) and ‘wear and tear’ items like brake pads and disks.
However in practice, they seem to have been pretty generous in their interpretation and some people have emails from MB saying that things like electrical failures would be covered.

ServicePlus gives cover for up to 6 yrs or 120K miles – I would imagine / hope that if your CL’s engine went pop within that time then MB would be in some difficulty.
If they denied it had worn out, then they lay themselves open to Sale Of Goods, Fit for Purpose action as it could be presumed that car must have had some defect – when you buy a quality car like an MB, you don’t expect the engine to fail within the first 5-6 years.
If MB say it didn't have a defect, then it must have worn out.

(Obviously I'm assuming that you hadn't abused the engine - although the electronics should stop you doing that - or run it without oil etc).

I cannot speak highly enough of ServicePlus, I thought it was a Mercedes-Benz warranty though?

The only problem I've noticed is that dealership service departments sometimes don't understand just how good it is?

Our car went in for an intermittent electrical fault, just about everything was removed to locate the fault without any success, but when everything was reinstalled the drainage had disappeared?? No replacement parts, just £256 of labour charges. I told the service department the car was covered by ServicePlus, but they doubted I could claim as "They were fully aware of the different types of warranty, and this would not be covered!" One hour later I received a call saying no problems with the warranty and they were impressed with the extent of coverage.

If anyone intends keeping their car I will simply suggest this warranty offers great peace of mind, I have read all the sceptic posts regarding it, but so far (touch wood) all of us that have it are really impressed (kiss of death dealt:devil: )

If you can afford it, then go for it.

Regards
John

Request a copy of the Terms & Conditions to satisfy yourself, but I have it in writing that providing that a problem is not due to either accidental or deliberate damage, then it's covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom