Silencer paint flaking - result

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonl

Car
SLK230
A while back I posted a request about sorting out the paint flaking on my silencer. It appears to have been a victim of the downtime and I recall there being interest in the result.

Well, I finally got this task done at the w/e. Give it a sand down and cleaned it with cellulose thinners before applying some black high temperature paint. It seems to have worked quite nicely.

Unfortunately an ill-timed gust of wind from mother-nature blew dust on the wet paint so I'm going to give it a sand down and another coat before wrapping it up in a placcy bag while it dries. :mad: (I have no garage or drive - a terrible lack of fore-thought by the city planners 200 years ago :p )

The important bit though is that it seems to be staying on fine and looks tons better, not to mention the added protection.

:)

Cheers,
SImon

It's funny, I was just about to post about this same topic, asking if you had done it yet :) . Which paint did you get? I noticed there was a few at Halfords (matt, gloss, etc.). Did you do the whole silencer, or just the flaky bits?

EDIT: Just noticed when you posted this; wonder why it didn't show up on my "view latest" (or whatever it's called)?

Cheers

Andrew

I got the satin black. It was either that or gloss. The satin black is still a wee bit shiny for my liking so I imagine the gloss would look a bit much. The paint had only flaked at the back-end - technical term ;) - so that's all I painted.

I guess I would have preferred a more matt finish, but it's much better than it was.

Cheers,
SImon

Satin it is, then. Yep, mine's flaking just at the back too. Trip to Halfords again then ...

Cheers

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom