Sill cover - Corrosion??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Dent Guy

Car
C220 CDi SportCoupe SE, Evolution, Panoramic, 2004 facelift, AMG Kit, Superchips Re-Map
Recently i noticed that both my sill covers are sort of bubbling up. Could they be corroding? Well it actually looks like there's possibly some grit trapped under them and the metal has been flatened over it - ie. quite bumpy and uneven looking.

Very strange but was wondering if anyone else has this problem?

Is it something that would be covered by mobilo?

sill-bubble2.JPG

Last edited:
Dent, I see we've similarly-aged cars - all the build stamps in mine are mid'04, though its an 05 reg. I noticed this within the past three months. Doesn't seem to be other damage near it. Again, its the driver's door sill, about 15cm from the front. The rest of the strip is ok.

I've a service in 1400mls and hope to convince them to tackle it. If there's further evidence that this is a common fault that might strengthen any claim.

RSCN9826.JPG

I've just had both of mine replaced under MB warranty.

Russ

I know mine is an old one 2002 but will have a good look when it comes back from the paint shop for rust under MB warranty all four wings (wheel archers ) dont think iv'e seen this yet.Are they not stainless ?
Dave

diesel rot ? LOL( I know it's not funny )all 3 are 220 cdi 2 are sport coupe 1 clk have they all been made in the same place at the same time bad bach? Hope you get it sorted under Mobilo good luck.

Russ, how old, or on what plate, is your car please?

cheers,
Rich

Mine is from Dec 2005.

It looks to me as if water has got underneath them. Apparently they have an adhesive backing and are simply stuck in place.

When I mentioned them to Mercedes, they told me they would replace them without even looking at them first, so I imagine it is not a new one for them.

Russ

Finally got round to replacing the drivers sill. Local stealers refused to change them under Mobilo..... only cost £35 ea anyway.

Mobilo is breakdown cover, not a warranty.

Russ

I'm guessing that The Dent Guy was hoping to get them replaced under the body/corrosion part of the Mobilo cover, although I appreciate that it was a long shot ;)

Will

I'm guessing that The Dent Guy was hoping to get them replaced under the body/corrosion part of the Mobilo cover, although I appreciate that it was a long shot ;)

Will

I realised that after I replied, as you say, a bit of a long shot.
I did get both of mine replaced under warranty, would not expect Mobilo to cover it if they went again.

Russ

It seems like a few people are suffering with this problem. Funny how my local stealers not only refused to replace under corrosion Mobilo but they claim to have NEVER come accross this problem before.... - Yeah, likely story.

It seems like a few people are suffering with this problem. Funny how my local stealers not only refused to replace under corrosion Mobilo but they claim to have NEVER come accross this problem before.... - Yeah, likely story.

Mobilo, as far as I'm aware, covers bodywork corrosion, or perforation from the inside out. I cannot see how they would replace sill trim under these conditions.

But you are right about them denying problems exist. They denied to me that W209 3rd brakelights fall out of the bootlid & that the mirror indicators are prone to condensation.

Russ

My car is not suffering from the sills!!
But do they happen to be aluminium ;) ... :)

This is my car's disease .. Aluminiatis ;) hahahaha
MB and Aluminium seem to have a very bad allergy reaction!

Noticed mine have on a c180 (54) Defo alluminium. Trouble is lacquer gets water underneath and it starts oxidising. Thats i, just a matter of time.
However,
Other day trawling ebay I did notice an add, from a guy who MAKES new sills from stainless. Cant remember details but very reasonable I thought.
If I find again I'll post link. But was only a day or two so will still be there if anyone else wants a look also.

I think i know why it happens.....

I bought my car used - 3 yrs old. I noticed the corrosion probably about 8-12 months after i bought it.

Never used to get my car valeted until i owned an MB.... and part of the valeting process is to clean the sills with the jet wash.

Thus forcing water into any minor gap. Problem solved i reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom