Silver Arrows SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thats a litle expensive... Around £21 would be a reasonable dealer price.

Not really - it's about right to be honest for a main dealer - especially as you can knock £1k off. An identical car sold from C&G MB for the same money within a week; the last two I've seen sell at £26k. There is another one up for £25k in Surrey, not sure if the £29k one is still for sale.

I have some more photos of that one if you're interested - someone I know is thinking about buying it.

That Silver Arrow SL500 is absolutely beautiful. I'd say GO FOR IT!

Id say go for it, then sell me your CE :D

If ya itch ya gotta scratch!

So today I nipped down to Western to look this over.

Now, I really don't know what one's expectations should be regarding dealer preparation and I know that a lot is dependant on the car's condition anyway, but I was sooo disappointed.

Clearly, the wheelarches had never been cleaned - ever. Each lip was smooth from the wing to the liner with 'concrete'. There is crummy plastichrome trim round the wheel-rims. Three badly scratched, the fourth bent and broken. Wheels not especially clean. Several dinks on grille and on door. Gouges on rear deck where Pana-roof had not located first time :crazy: Scuffs on bumpers, bad stone-chip on pillar and deep gouge on boot-lid. Pointless 'mudflaps' on trailing edge of rear wheelarches - both hanging off, double-sided sticky tape no longer sticking!

At 55k miles over six years, the leather looked manky. The rest of the interior either too shiny or a bit grubby.

I know we're all different and some folk are easy pleased, but my impression was of a car looked after well enough but certainly not cherished. But, of course, I expect it was bought and funded through a business.

Finally, I confirmed I could not live with the interior anyway. There must be many complimentary adjectives to describe a Silver Arrows SL500, but ‘Classy’ is not one of them.

Sorry, just not for me!

I cant say Im suprised, MB dealers dont seem to go to town on prepping the cars for retail anymore. With regard to the wheels, its a stainless steel insert they put over the lip to make it look polished without the hassle of maintaining it, Im sure stats can say more about this He had a similar problem with his.

You might want to consider one of the other late designo models.

That's a shame Derek. They have only sent low res images so I did warn the chap who was thinking about buying it to ask for more details. It has supposedly been prepped and resprayed as well.

The stainless trim is the third wheel piece and sandwiched between the face and the rim itself.

You either love or hate the interior - personally I love it :)

It should look like this:

1.jpg

I cant say Im suprised, MB dealers dont seem to go to town on prepping the cars for retail anymore.
I do not belieeeeeve it,
I must say I am NOT impressed, I would NEVER buy a car in that type of condition. I would like to think a main dealer takes pride in the vehicles they put up for sale. I was under the impression that unsuitable vehicles taken in part exchange are either auctioned, or sold to the trade? To put a shoddy car on their forecourt speaks volumes about that dealership. Well done for walking away and if it were me, I would write a follow-up letter to the managing director (NOT an e-mail) :mad:

Regards,
John

Finally, I confirmed I could not live with the interior anyway.

I appreciate it's very subjective, but neither could I (and I don't like the wheels either!).

Mind you my interior is pretty conservative I guess!

interior_2.jpg

interior3.jpg

interior_1.jpg

Always on the lookout for a wood/leather wheel (even a chromed star on the airbag cover would be an improvement).

I suppose that does explain a few things :crazy: :D .

Take a good look and learn the error of your ways:

Wheel.jpg

I suppose that does explain a few things :crazy: :D .

Take a good look and learn the error of your ways:
:D I'm afraid I'm with BTB in this issue :eek: :eek:

John the conservative raving looney member

Tyres look a bit grubby Bill. :rolleyes: Ran out of tyre gel ? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom