Ski Boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SportsCoupeRich

MB Enthusiast
Car
RRS
Off skiing in March and need a new pair of ski boots. I have very high arches and struggle to find comfy ones - any tips on boots / fitters in London / cheaper retailers?

thanks

We gave up on owning boots a long time ago - pain to transport if flying, good ones are pricey. At least with rentals, if they don't work (or your feet change a little once you actually start skiing) you can go back to the shop and change them!
I always try for boots with lots of adjusters rather than "mod" ones with just one or two latches.

The first thing is to make sure you get them fitted properly, the fitter should be fashioning insoles for you that basically raise the instep to fit your arches.
You style of skiing and experience will dictate the boot style and manufacturer, consider having the boots foam injected, this ensures that you have a comfortable well fitting boot that gives you all the control you will need.
I had mine done by Snow and Rock and can recommend them highly, slightly more expensive than some shops, but they will readjust for free as much as you need.
Snow + Rock Stores
Don't skimp on the boots, they will make the experience so much more enjoyable!

Top tip

Cut your toenails before you get fitted for ski boots. Seriously.

If you nails are long when you choose your boots they will be too big after you cut them. You can always cut your nails, it's more difficult to make them longer.

I got some fantastic boots last year from Decathlon - No contest with regards to pricing, they are always competitive.

I got some orange coloured Nordica boots.. Around £250 reduced from £350. I saw them on the mountains for over £450.
I have wide feet and these are the best investment I ever made... No more smelly shoes that really cause your feet to hurt at the end of the day.

There are a couple of branches in London, but I used the one at Canada Water (one stop before canary wharf on the jubilee)...
Lots of choice there.

There are several good outdoor wear shops in Covent garden with good ski departments or go to Snow & Rock....take time to get boots fitted....make sure you have insoles moulded to your feet.....above all, allow plenty of time for fitting of boots.....it makes skiing so much more enjoyable if your boots fit correctly.....di not rely on hire boots....you can never guarantee they have boots that will fit, especially if you have odd shaped feet. Above all, expect to pay for a quality boot/fitter....

PS. I bought my last boots in a resort...at least I was able to ski on them and get the fitter to make any adjustments I though necessary.

If you've had problems before getting a good fit I'd also recommend buying them in the resort. No amount of walking/sitting around in them compares to how they feel when skiing all day.

I just went online and found a good website that guided you what boots were suitable for what type of foot.. i then went to decathlon and saved a whole load of cash.

My boss recommends Snow and Rock on London Bridge (near Monument Station), they are also meant to be very good and offer a insole making service. Not to far from you Rich.

Regards

Tan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom