SL Heated Rear Window Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Burger

Car
2007 SL (R230)
Went out last night in my new to me 2007 SL350. On returning to the car there was some evening dew on the rear window. Switched on the heated rear window, the amber light in the switch illuminated to indicate it was on. It made absolutely zero impact on the rear window.

I do understand that heated rear windows are really designed for clearing condensation inside the car, but on all my previous cars it would have had some effect eventually on the dew outside. I would have seen clear lines appear along each heater element, slowly clearing the whole thing. There was no impact whatsoever on the dew. After 10 minutes the light went out, so I switched it on again... still zero impact.

Could someone else with a later SL please comment on this. I'm suspecting the heated rear window isn't working, but maybe this is a trait of the glass used or something that means it only really works on the inside.

Many thanks,

Just as an observation ... the HRW on my R129 SL hard top is equally ineffective at clearing condensation on the inside. I think the issue is that the heating elements are embedded in the glass, rather than being 'printed' on the surface. Hence the whole screen has to heat up (from the inside) before there's any effect whatsoever on the surface. And on the R129 this is so slow as to be almost undetectable.

I've checked the screen and circuit electrically, and all is fine.

Thanks for that info... interesting. The cars going to the dealers tomorrow for a couple of fixes and so I'm going to have them check this at the same time I think. If it really is that ineffective it will be a disappointment - but of course not one that makes me dislike the car.

Thanks,

Just to be sure on this I just checked the two fuses that supply the HRW and both look to me to be perfectly alright. Nearly gave up on the main 30A one, not being a contortionist, but persevered and got it out in the end. I still can't believe it was working last night though so will have the dealer check it out too.

Just collected the car from the dealers... Needs a new rear windscreen because the current one is showing open circuit apparently. They'd already put the claim through on the approved used warranty and it was already approved, so a new £1000 rear window is on order for me.

Rear Screen

Hi,

I have had a quote from Mercedes for replacement of the rear screen on a 2007 350SL ! ££££'s can anyone advise on other options??? have approached Autoglass who's quote is very reasonable..but I'm not convinced they have covered all the seals required ! ??

HELP !

heated screen repair

Hi,

I have had a quote from Mercedes for replacement of the rear screen on a 2007 350SL ! ££££'s can anyone advise on other options??? have approached Autoglass who's quote is very reasonable..but I'm not convinced they have covered all the seals required ! ??

HELP ![/Q

I know how to fix the heated rear screen !! :thumb:

r230 sl heated screen repair

I know how to fix the heated rear screen !!

please PM me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom