SL280 to SL55 conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's quite possible I was suffering a brain fade at the time - it's been a very testing couple of weeks!

Managed to adjust the steering at the adjustment socket on the Pitman arm, made a world of difference! :thumb:

Need some welding done on the exhaust brackets now, the whole cabin is vibrating when the engine is running plus it's leaking quite badly in the mid section; adds to the V8 sound though.:rock:

Great thread & really impressive work- take my hat off to you!

Well the SL is now back on the road! dropped the car off for 2 new front tyres, an alignment, A/C recharge and the dreaded MOT:crazy:

Good news, passed the MOT with no advisories:bannana:
I was a bit worried about emissions since it was a much larger 5.5 engine running on a 5.0 ecu and with primary cat delete (kept the secondaries) but the car sailed through with 0% CO detected and only 31ppm HC (<=200 limit). Lambda was 1.03 on the max limit:D

Bad news, the A/C doesn't work after the recharge, its fully filled with no leaks but not turning the compressor on. Connected the car to Star diagnostics and a lot of climate control fault codes stored. After deleting them the one code that came back was B1419 A/C compressor clutch circuit. I will have to check the continuity from the climate control unit to the clutch plug and go from there.

Nothing like driving a legally taxed and tested project on the road for the first time! :rock:

Great stuff that all is well and even better again as it was a slightly unusual transplant.

Excellent stuff and well done on the MOT. Will be interesting to see what the road handling is like with that 5.5 lump.

I would love to do the same with my SL320;)

Some pictures

Managed to take a few pictures this afternoon while the weather was nice :cool:

I've still got the hardtop on as I'm moving house at the end of the month and storage space is a little tight at the moment!

Anyway a few pics taken down at the Cotswold Airport in Kemble, Gloucestershire (incidentally, you may recognise the place from the very first few series of Wheeler Dealers!)

WP_000188_zps7ae32891.jpg

WP_000191_zpsa530dd83.jpg

WP_000193_zps463540b7.jpg

WP_000195_zpsd2fb62c3.jpg

Do the rear wheels have the correct offset?

Do the rear wheels have the correct offset?

They look like W210 E55 18" AMG's, so technically speaking probably not...

Trouble is, the correct two piece 18" AMG's for a R129 are big bucks in comparision...

Looks really smart either way:thumb:

They look like W210 E55 18" AMG's, so technically speaking probably not...

Trouble is, the correct two piece 18" AMG's for a R129 are big bucks in comparision...

Looks really smart either way:thumb:

Yes, the rears are A210 parts while the fronts are A129 parts. The original 17" were tucked into the arches even more. I think you only get the full arch look with the split rims.

Here's a photo of the original wheels:

mercedes-benz-sl-class-convertible-sl280-v6-2dr-auto-100540543-640x480_zpsc1ff4fe9.jpg

Yup the split-rims are 10" wide at the rear so fill the arches well.

Amazing car! One of my favourites!

This Chinese star you got...can you please tell me where and how much? PM me if needed :D

Bought a rather sorry looking E55 AMG steering wheel, stripped the old finish back and re-dyed in Basalt grey with a matt protective finish for more "AMG effect" also found a leather and wood gear knob for a bargain £12! :thumb:

WP_000203_zps98b574bb.jpg

WP_000204_zps97402b22.jpg

Most beautifull car next do old bmw 6 series

Wow that is a massive project. Good luck!

Fantastic project. Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom