SL280 to SL55 conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agree. Incredible work!!!

Wow this looks awesome. Well done on getting it finished.

Fantastic and very very informative thread. Thank you so much.
Sorry for being late to the party, I have recently purchased a 1999 SL500 and am seriously considering dropping the Naturally Aspirated M113 5.5 AMG engine in it.

At this moment in time, I have no intentions of changing out anything else like the transmission, ECU or even the diffs.

I am guessing it's a straight drop in right?
Did the original R129 engine cover fit on the M113 AMG engine from the W208?

What about engine mount locations?

Basically, canI choose any engine from any MB model ( S class, CL or SLK class with the similar engine cover as my R129 ) because the engine cover on the W208 and W210 55's is different.

Thanks

Hi SmokeySilver, as you already have the m113 V8 configuration it would be an almost straight swap. Engine mounts are the same so the engine would bolt right in.

Things to look out for are that the later AMG 5.4 NA motors after the year 2000 will have a different throttle body with a different electrical socket but throttle diameter is the same as the 5.0 engine so you would have to swap your throttle body onto the AMG motor. After the year 2000 the AMG motors used a different engine management system (this is when the newer style engine covers appeared) also introducing the newer throttle body electronics.
Something else to look out for is the sump pans can be different shapes depending on what car they came from and the anti-roll bar setup, you might have to swap over sump pans from your 5.0. You will need to put your SL500 exhaust manifolds on the AMG engine so you can use your original exhaust downpipes.
Electrically it should be plug and play. I currently run an SL500 ECU and I've never seen the engine management light come on and the car passes the UK emissions test every year. The engine runs great through all loads throughout the rev range. You can have the ECU remapped to that of an AMG 5.4 motor.
For engine covers, they all use the same fixing locations. In fact the V6 M112 airbox is the same as the V8 M113, it is only the front piece that is different for the V8.
Hope that helps.

I have recently purchased a 1999 SL500 and am seriously considering dropping the Naturally Aspirated M113 5.5 AMG engine in it.

It's a cool idea, but as mentioned in the other thread if the 500 is running OK the increase in power from an NA 55 engine would be pretty modest. A supercharged one would be a different matter :)

It's a cool idea, but as mentioned in the other thread if the 500 is running OK the increase in power from an NA 55 engine would be pretty modest.

I've owned a NA E55 for almost a decade. While it's not as fast as a 55K is is notably faster than an M113 5.0. The 50-60hp difference is significant. Is it worth it? No if you want more power, sell it and buy an SL600 or move up to the R230

The 50-60hp difference is significant.

I didn't think there was quite that much between the M113 5.0 and 5.5, but the numbers do vary a bit depending on where you look!

I didn't think there was quite that much between the M113 5.0 and 5.5, but the numbers do vary a bit depending on where you look!

I've owned just about every permutation of the M113 engine. Seat of parts, the NA AMG cars feel significantly quicker than the 5.0 cars. I believe that my E55 made 354hp. The later CLK / SLK models made more than 360hp, and closer to 400hp f it was a black series car.

Fantastic and very very informative thread. Thank you so much.
Sorry for being late to the party, I have recently purchased a 1999 SL500 and am seriously considering dropping the Naturally Aspirated M113 5.5 AMG engine in it.

At this moment in time, I have no intentions of changing out anything else like the transmission, ECU or even the diffs.

I am guessing it's a straight drop in right?
Did the original R129 engine cover fit on the M113 AMG engine from the W208?

What about engine mount locations?

Basically, canI choose any engine from any MB model ( S class, CL or SLK class with the similar engine cover as my R129 ) because the engine cover on the W208 and W210 55's is different.

Thanks

Thank you very much sir

It's a cool idea, but as mentioned in the other thread if the 500 is running OK the increase in power from an NA 55 engine would be pretty modest. A supercharged one would be a different matter :)

I own a 1999 M113 5.0 V8 which produces 305hp.

My R129 is 80% AMGed and dropping the 5.5 engine in there would be a great tribute to my dream car. The R129 SL55 AMG

I found an engine for less than a thousand quid.

I own a 1999 M113 5.0 V8 which produces 305hp.

My R129 is 80% AMGed and dropping the 5.5 engine in there would be a great tribute to my dream car. The R129 SL55 AMG

I found an engine for less than a thousand quid.
Go for it then! What's the engine from? From a quick Google (not necessarily reliable ...) they vary by about 20 bhp:

CLK55: 347 PS / 342 bhp
E55: 354 PS / 349 bhp
SLK55: 360 PS / 355 bhp
C55: 367 PS / 362 bhp

But ...

R129 SL60 (M119): officially 381 PS / 375 bhp (i.e. just lower than the flagship V12 SL600), allegedly a bit more though.

Go for it then! What's the engine from? From a quick Google (not necessarily reliable ...) they vary by about 20 bhp:

CLK55: 347 PS / 342 bhp
E55: 354 PS / 349 bhp
SLK55: 360 PS / 355 bhp
C55: 367 PS / 362 bhp

But ...

R129 SL60 (M119): officially 381 PS / 375 bhp (i.e. just lower than the flagship V12 SL600), allegedly a bit more though.

Thank you
I will confirm which car this engine came from, I am told it's either from a W220 or a W215

I will confirm which car this engine came from, I am told it's either from a W220 or a W215

Sounds good - those both look like 360 PS / 355 bhp, which would be a useful increase for you.

I think some of the differences between the 5.4s may come down to small details like the presence or not of a viscous fan (instead of an electronic one) and possibly the differences in the exhaust systems too?

But I have to agree, having owned/driven pretty much every type of M113 the NA 5.4 feels significantly sharper than the other non-AMG NA models. To me the 430 and 500 113s felt lazy and slow, the 5.4 barks into life and pulls like a train by comparison. The others are smooth but just don’t have the midrange shove and eagerness of the AMG models.

For under £1000 it has to be a worthwhile swap if originality isn’t an issue. Re-seal the cam covers/breathers whilst it’s out, fit new spark plugs, perhaps a crank sensor and water pump (and idler pulley) for good measure and you should have trouble free motoring for the foreseeable future :)

I think the starter mounting position varies on some of the 5.4s, worth checking that as well as the sump already mentioned. Oh and probably worth checking the condition of the crank pulley (harmonic damper) whilst it’s out of the car? They tend to break up and wobble a bit!

Could part of that difference be attributed to the gearbox/diff however? A change of ratio or shift parameters?

Could part of that difference be attributed to the gearbox/diff however? A change of ratio or shift parameters?

Possibly, and to be fair the chassis type (weight!) obviously - but on the whole I think the throttle response and in gear acceleration was noticeably more eager on the 5.4 AMGs in whatever gear or situation they were under.

Hard to explain without driving one to compare but the 500 I had felt pretty flat and dull, although exceptionally smooth it just didn’t have that wave of mid range torque that seemed to build and propel the AMG. I think the 400cc extra maybe part of that but it seems as though it breathes better too higher up the rev range - I suspect cams or something else - not sure!

It would be interesting to drop a 500 into a ‘55 AMG car for comparison although if the OP does the swap it would give us a reasonable idea anyway (whilst keeping the same gearbox/diff ratios) ;)

I think the exhaust note/volume plays a significant part in the perceived performance & 'sportiness' of a car. 500s are generally set up to be very quiet under most normal driving conditions, whereas AMGs typically aren't. Will made the comment earlier "the 5.4 barks into life" - would that still be the case if attached to a standard 500 exhaust system?

I think some of the differences between the 5.4s may come down to small details like the presence or not of a viscous fan (instead of an electronic one) and possibly the differences in the exhaust systems too?

But I have to agree, having owned/driven pretty much every type of M113 the NA 5.4 feels significantly sharper than the other non-AMG NA models. To me the 430 and 500 113s felt lazy and slow, the 5.4 barks into life and pulls like a train by comparison. The others are smooth but just don’t have the midrange shove and eagerness of the AMG models.

For under £1000 it has to be a worthwhile swap if originality isn’t an issue. Re-seal the cam covers/breathers whilst it’s out, fit new spark plugs, perhaps a crank sensor and water pump (and idler pulley) for good measure and you should have trouble free motoring for the foreseeable future :)

I think the starter mounting position varies on some of the 5.4s, worth checking that as well as the sump already mentioned. Oh and probably worth checking the condition of the crank pulley (harmonic damper) whilst it’s out of the car? They tend to break up and wobble a bit!

And to think that only recently, I replaced the idler pulley, fan clutch and belt.
Are those re-usable on the new motor?

I think the exhaust note/volume plays a significant part in the perceived performance & 'sportiness' of a car. 500s are generally set up to be very quiet under most normal driving conditions, whereas AMGs typically aren't. Will made the comment earlier "the 5.4 barks into life" - would that still be the case if attached to a standard 500 exhaust system?

I only have the AMG muffler, my car from factory does not come with the resonator right before that.
I have also had to gut out my secondary cats because they were messed up from the inside.

Here's a video of my car, sounds very tame.. and I honestly don't mind.
I am told that the R129 SL55 and SL600 are quiet cars anyway.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom