SL500 (2003, R230): Copper brake pipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starlight

Car
C220d AMG Premium Line Plus (2018)
I'm having some work done by an M-B dealership and in the usual way they've carried out a 'visual health check'.

The technician has commented:

'Copper pipes fitted to sbc'.

The pipes were fitted last year year by a superb indie and as far as I know there's no reason why they shouldn't be copper.

Am I missing something?

It would be good to be knowledgeable ahead of the inevitable discussion with the service manager.

They may be CuNiFe, pronounced kunifer. Copper Nickel Iron mix, which looks copper to the untrained eye but is much stronger than copper and will not rust like steel.
Cunifer looks more yellow than copper and when seen side by side it is obvious.

Last edited:
Easiest thing to do is get a small piece of copper, clean it up and compare it with the pipes on your car.

They may be CuNiFe, pronounced kunifer. Copper Nickel Iron mix, which looks copper to the untrained eye but is much stronger than copper and will not rust like steel.
Cunifer looks more yellow than copper and when seen side by side it is obvious.
Really helpful - thanks very much. I've checked the invoice for the pipe replacements. The parts cost was £38.42 ex VAT for the pipes and unions. Does that give a clue as to whether they're CuNiFe?

If they are in fact copper, what would be the objection?

Really helpful - thanks very much. I've checked the invoice for the pipe replacements. The parts cost was £38.42 ex VAT for the pipes and unions. Does that give a clue as to whether they're CuNiFe?

If they are in fact copper, what would be the objection?
On reflection, that wasn't a bright question; but I can't see any safety implications if the pipes are checked regularly.

Cunifer scores over copper in that it doesn't work harden and crack.
Not an issue if it's properly secured and not moving.

Much easier to put copper on as it is considerably more flexible but the struggle in using nickel copper pays off as it will long outlast the copper pipe.

Post removed.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who took part with helpful comments. The service manager said that the SBC system 'puts brake pipes under more pressure' but didn't press on the subject of changing them to steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom