sl500 anything to look out for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dazzler

Car
W211 Estate 320CDI, E55 AMG 54 plate.
Thinking of buying the above, 2003 model. Anything to be aware of?

Thinking of buying the above, 2003 model. Anything to be aware of?

Yup.

In no particular order:

Check service history - services should be 1 year to 18 months apart (typically)
Make sure all electrics work including comforts seat if fitted
Check all four struts for leaks / misting
Check roof works (at least twice)
The longer the MOT the better - front lower balljoints at that age are a possible - check advisories
Check boot floor (right at bottom) for dampness.
Check foam housing for PSE is dry
Check (as best you can) carpets are dry including behind seats
Raise/lower ABS several times
Check rear wheel arches (very inside edges) for rust.

Struts are £1300+ per corner
PSE pump £800
Leaks to boot are easy fix
Wheel arches assuming not severe (mild rust is the norm) easy fix

Keep it all in perspective though - most posts here about R230s are the same as most posts about any other model - they are from people with problems. For every one of them, there will be hundreds, probably thousands with no problems!

If the R230 goes wrong it can be expensive as I mentioned above. They are not anything like as bad as their reputation would have you believe. I'm on my third. I've been driving them for a total of 7 years and I'm not a masochist!

Keep it all in perspective though - most posts here about R230s are the same as most posts about any other model - they are from people with problems. For every one of them, there will be hundreds, probably thousands with no problems!

If the R230 goes wrong it can be expensive as I mentioned above. They are not anything like as bad as their reputation would have you believe. I'm on my third. I've been driving them for a total of 7 years and I'm not a masochist!

Hm...I'm guessing that there are more and older 129's on the road; and just from memory on this board there seem to be more posts about dodgy 230's than their elegant elder counterparts. Given the volumes, I think 230's are over-represented. Still as in most things, people have different views.

Hm...I'm guessing that there are more and older 129's on the road; and just from memory on this board there seem to be more posts about dodgy 230's than their elegant elder counterparts. Given the volumes, I think 230's are over-represented. Still as in most things, people have different views.

I wouldn't argue with that although a couple of observations (which may be quite wrong): 129s are indeed lovely but round here, 230s are not uncommon whereas 129s are quite rare. Add to that the fact (again I may be wrong) that owners of 129s are less likely to need technical advice from a forum like this as they are not as complicated to work on as the over-engineered, over-complicated (and over-priced for parts) R230.

I owned a 2003 SL 500. Obviously no labour costs involved in repairs. Still managed to swipe me for thousands in 1 year to 18 months.

I wouldn't argue with that although a couple of observations (which may be quite wrong): 129s are indeed lovely but round here, 230s are not uncommon whereas 129s are quite rare. Add to that the fact (again I may be wrong) that owners of 129s are less likely to need technical advice from a forum like this as they are not as complicated to work on as the over-engineered, over-complicated (and over-priced for parts) R230.

Sounds like you've convinced yourself ....................that 129 is the way to go

:D:D:D

Sounds like you've convinced yourself ....................that 129 is the way to go

:D:D:D

In which case I've worded my responses badly :rolleyes:

I also answered the OPs specific question

I also answered the OPs specific question

Pull your horns in. It was banter. God this place is soooooo bloody scratchy these days.:mad:

Thanks for all the replies. Im going to have to have a rethink, maybe another ç32 then!

C32..... with all their problems...... :p

Don't be silly. All cars have their problems.
The SL is packed with features and technologies so by its nature something will go wrong on a percentage of products. It's the same with anything you buy. If you buy a lotus Elise then you wont ever have problem with electric windows because it doesn't have them so you won't read bad reviews on that topic - just for example.
You like the SL I assume for the looks, so it's just a case of if your heart rules your head.
The good thing is all problems can pretty much be diagnosed by searching the net and most indies have a huge amount of knowledge on these cars.
The SL350 doesn't have hydraulic struts. The struts are an expensive part so the sl350 could be a compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom