SL500 Battery Module

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby328

Car
SL500
Hello all,

Having got myself a red battery fault with 'Visit Workshop', I had the car in my workshop overnight and the smell of burnt Bakelite greeted me next morning, this gave me a clue to the fault so I went digging and found the fault.

I’m pleased this unit is in a metal enclosure as I am sure a fire would have seen off my car.

I now have two questions I would like to put to those who have been down this road also.

1/ Would I be right in thinking this is just an age thing of the unit itself and a replacement makes this all go away or should I be looking at something else also?

2/ As the fire looks to have started around a relay type unit within the housing, would a second hand unit give me an unknown life and so best to fit a new unit?

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• P1080634.jpg
    P1080634.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 28
  • P1080635.jpg
    P1080635.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 26
  • P1080636.jpg
    P1080636.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 26
Well regardless Bobby you and the car have had a lucky escape,I cannot help you but there will be members who will know what has happened and what to do about it.

Hi, have had similar issue on my SL55 AMG, I have managed to find someone breaking one and decided to put whole new wiring in as some of the wiring for fuses are burnt. Check the wiring firstly as if its just the split charging ecu you are ok to replace but get it checked first. Apparently Mercedes do a new unit for around £300 I have been told. I will be finding out more tomorrow once I give them a call as I need for my vehicle and did not come from the breaker.

This is a common issue with them.

Thinking it would be best to fit a new unit I got a price from Mercedes £776.40 inc VAT
Would anyone know if this is the right thing for me to do?

I would only buy a new one.

It will need to be coded to the car though.

Thanks BlackC55

Can you recommend a unit that would allow me to code this myself or does this need to be done by someone who knows more than I do, no offence taken if you say how it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom