SL55 AMG Buy now or prices to drop further???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toddy2

Car
2000 R129 SL
Hi All,

I've recently acquired my first Merc - an R129 320 SL which I love. Previously been a BMW and Porsche fan.

I have a craving for an SL 55 AMG, I'd love a SL63 but doubt I'll find one in my budget.

Anyway my question do we think SL55 AMG prices will fall further?? Or is now the time to buy, I hope to keep long term and hope there will be some appreciation in its value in the future.

Best colour? Ideally I want dark blue, then silver, then black would me my last choice.

Cheers

I bought one about 18 months ago that was a 2 owner low miler but town car needing a fair bit of bodywork & a few other bits. I think I paid £10k at the time which was cheap but shows what you can find.

I bought one about 18 months ago that was a 2 owner low miler but town car needing a fair bit of bodywork & a few other bits. I think I paid £10k at the time which was cheap but shows what you can find.

Wow, great buy. I'm hoping they'll bottom out at the £10k mark, which will give £££'s in the contingency pot for issues.

I jumped on a few months ago so I hope prices will start to hold. I'm in for the long term anyway because I like the car for what it is and the way it looks (better than subsequent iterations IMHO).

With big n/a engines on the way out and the next generation of SL reportedly a ragtop, this model may be looked on as a bit of a high point.

There's a new SL due (facelift) this year/early next year. (It's already listed on the MB.de website)

When a new model arrives older generations often take a knock so it might be worth sitting tight for the right one to come along.

Thanks for the replies, I'll be in it for the long term. Prices seemed to have firmed up now, as Red220 suggests the 12 yearly shape change is here son so hopefully might dip a bit further. I'll keep searching.

The first generation R230 is truly a thing of beauty and is likely to increase in value over the later face lifted (much less attactive) models when the next generation SL is released....... (just my opinion of course!)

The first generation R230 is truly a thing of beauty and is likely to increase in value over the later face lifted (much less attactive) models when the next generation SL is released....... (just my opinion of course!)

As the owner of a facelift model I can only say that looks are very subjective and I really like the 'chiseled' look of the facelift model not to mention the wonderful N/A V8 and its sound plus the wonderful MCT auto-box and the sorted suspension particularly on the PP equipped cars.
Also Chris Harris who is someone I have great respect for really rates the facelift model.

As the owner of a facelift model I can only say that looks are very subjective and I really like the 'chiseled' look of the facelift model not to mention the wonderful N/A V8 and its sound plus the wonderful MCT auto-box and the sorted suspension particularly on the PP equipped cars.
Also Chris Harris who is someone I have great respect for really rates the facelift model.
Yes but not the original first great design.yes abc problems I grant but give it a few years and the modern sl will not be as collect able.again just my opinion.the first sl55 will be a classic .just wish I could afford to keep it in my garage.oh well might as well enjoy a classic.0-60 4.5to frightened to go any further.

Yes but not the original first great design.yes abc problems I grant but give it a few years and the modern sl will not be as collect able.again just my opinion.the first sl55 will be a classic .just wish I could afford to keep it in my garage.oh well might as well enjoy a classic.0-60 4.5to frightened to go any further.

I agree there seems to be a lot of love for the original styling of the front.

Picked mine up privately in September. A friend in the motor trade recommended an sl55 after looking at 650s or a m6. At £15k I've got to say bang for bucks its one hell of a motor. I pray daily for dry days so I can squeeze the trigger.

Sl55 values will not fall further if anything they have started to rise a touch.

I agree, if you had looked around 6 months ago you could pick a nice car up with around 70k on the clock for 13k the same car now is touching the 17-18k mark i think if your wanting one buy the right car now and hold on to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom