SL55 (r230) audio advise needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rudycob1

Car
SL 55 AMG
I'm in the process of wanting to upgrade/replace my Bose system as I need a more up to date set up for my Sl55 2003.
I would like to have a good sound system, Bluetooth, dab radio, phone, reverse camera, ipod connectivity, sat Nav, cd, touch screen,etc.
So here is were I'm confused.
How many speakers and types are there. So far I think I have established that there are two speakers per door, rear speakers, centre speaker and sub woofer.

1) is this correct and if so what sizes, wattage and ohms are they?

2) if I replace the door speakers with component system, what do you recommend.

3) amplifier to run new door/A pillar components.

4) 12 or 13" sub woofer in passenger footwell with separate amp. Recommendations.

5) what are the speakers in the back and centre speaker and can these be run from the same new amp (5 channel) or run from the new head unit direct? Will they need replacing.

6) how do I know what chargers to use for the amps?

7) read a lot about people mentioning remote base control, what does it connect to?

8) depending on the head unit ( double din touchscreen recommendations) will any of my steering controls work and what will I need to connect to the head unit. What functions will I loose?

9) anything else that I will need

I know that these questions have been on here before and that this is very lengthy but your advise will be greatly appreciated as I'm totally confused with trying to figure our what I need and how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I note that your post is dated Aug 15 and presume that you have received answers to your questions through alternate sources. I am in the final stages of fitting an Alpine X800D-U into my 2005 SL350 ... it's in, wired and working ... waiting to fit an iPod socket and exploring the addition of a Rear Camera, I can then refit all of the trim.
Throughout, I have measured speaker impedances and wired a JL 5-Channel Amp into the BOSE Speakers. In addition, I have connected to the Canbus for volume control though I still need to have some coding work done to adjust the clock plus see what can be done about other steering wheel functions where the buttons do stuff but not necessarily what I want. Too much information gleaned to write it all down at present.
I did the job myself because I need my car every day and I can take as many weekends as I need to fit it. Also, I didn't have a further £1000 to pay somebody on top of the (nearly) £2000 spent on the Head Unit, Amp plus fittings. The 8" screen looks great and suits the dash, but it was a little fiddly to "modify" the 7" adaptor trim panel.
Have you fitted your new Head Unit yet and, if so, what did you go for?
Regards
Wolfie Souter
Wiltshire. UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom