SL60 For Sale - Top Top Money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
1997 Mercedes Benz SL60 AMG

Seems like a fairly expensive price does it not?

Not sure I could justify the premium over my 2 owner same miles 1999/T SL500.

Lovely car but certainly top money being asked. Whether it will sell for that is another matter of course ...

I think it might be worth upto 30k maybe but still struggling to see it being worth over double & over twice as good as the current SL500 I have. I'd pay maybe 10k over the SL500 but even then it is a push. The SL60 is better but is it that much better....Im not so sure and have had both.

£40k sounds reasonable for a 72k SL60

Ultra rare one owner car, with low mileage and proper history? Sounds right when you consider what SL's go for.

Add in the SL600 review in Harry's Garage, and someone will make an offer near that £40k asking price. Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhX0Y2wQfqo

You won't drive it any faster than your own car, for sure. But that's not the point of a V12, it's a "mine's considerably bigger than yours" thing.

I should imagine this is a 2 owner car if it says one previous as that is a normal trick. These SL60's are a 6.0 V8 & very different to a more common V12 SL600. Can you drive an SL60 faster than an SL500....yes!

No pano on this it seems and not silly silly low mileage. I've seen others lower. How much is my SL500 worth then as if not much less your welcome to buy it!

Holy Bank Loan, Batman! I could buy TEN of my current SL500 (not one of the best, admittedly...:rolleyes:) for that!

That is my problem....it is a big premium.

A 60 would be lovely but unless you are a 'collector' a really nice 500 makes a lot more sense IMHO. Not many people with £40k to blow would be looking at an R129 ... you can get some pretty fast/rare/exotic/modern (take your pick) cars for that sort of money.

Yup, I'd agree with that. You can get a nice SL500, a Quattroporte & an as new 4200 for the same money

The challenge to the SL500, Quattroporte argument is that they will cost a shedload in maintenance and lose at least 10% a year in value.

Whereas the 72k mile SL60 "shouldn't" cost too much to maintain, and will be worth twice as much in five years time - simply due to the rarity value of that "only 50 of these AMG models in the UK" claim. Look at how ordinary nice 500SL R107's are now asking the same kind of money now ( £40k.)

Great car - see the article comparing the SL500 and SL60 in the October Mercedes Enthusiast - but the value is all in the head of the owner. You won't drive it any faster than the SL500. - we drive to the limits of the road, not the limits of the car. And only the Geeks, like us, will know the difference. ("The Wife" will never understand the difference)

So from a usage point of view an SL500 or SL320 is the smarter, simpler choice. Cheaper to run, less depreciation, fewer worries about damage or loss. An SL60 is all about the "bigger than yours" thing, rarity and potential profit in the future.

And that's a fact / Comparison to XJS

But then you'd only be regretting not having bought an R129 SL70 or SL73 :D

And THAT's a fact.

Was talking to a friend this morning about someone who has paid £40k for for an immaculate XJS V12 convertible. Now THAT is silly money for an uncomfortable car.

But then did you see the nice shiny E type at Goodwood that was up for sale at £275,000? Coupe, not convertible.

Whereas the 72k mile SL60 "shouldn't" cost too much to maintain, and will be worth twice as much in five years time - simply due to the rarity value of that "only 50 of these AMG models in the UK" claim.

Since the car is already massively overpriced it will not double in value in the next five years. And to optimise the value, you could rarely use it in order to keep the mileage low but would still be paying annual road tax, insurance, MOT, servicing, repair and possibly storeage costs for a garage queen.

Look at how ordinary nice 500SL R107's are now asking the same kind of money now ( £40k.)

Asking price but not selling price. Anyone trying to sell an R107 500SL for £40k is in for a very, very long wait.

Sorry , don't want a grey car with grey interior .

Now , if it was Almandine Red or Nautic Blue with mushroom leather ...

The challenge to the SL500, Quattroporte argument is that they will cost a shedload in maintenance and lose at least 10% a year in value.

Whereas the 72k mile SL60 "shouldn't" cost too much to maintain, and will be worth twice as much in five years time - simply due to the rarity value of that "only 50 of these AMG models in the UK" claim. Look at how ordinary nice 500SL R107's are now asking the same kind of money now ( £40k.)

Great car - see the article comparing the SL500 and SL60 in the October Mercedes Enthusiast - but the value is all in the head of the owner. You won't drive it any faster than the SL500. - we drive to the limits of the road, not the limits of the car. And only the Geeks, like us, will know the difference. ("The Wife" will never understand the difference)

So from a usage point of view an SL500 or SL320 is the smarter, simpler choice. Cheaper to run, less depreciation, fewer worries about damage or loss. An SL60 is all about the "bigger than yours" thing, rarity and potential profit in the future.

I have to disagree with much of this I'm afraid. My SL500, Quattroporte or 4200 are not going to drop a penny any more for the rest of their days. The SL500 has increased, the QP has bottomed and won't drop and the 4200 has increased in value as well. These are zero depreciation cars.

A £40k SL60 is not going to be worth £80k in 5 years IMHO. It also can cost a significant amount more to maintain over and above an SL500 if things go wrong. The camshafts and lots of other engine gubbins are custom AMG, rare, end of life and if need replacing will need custom machining at significant cost. Much of the car is an SL500 but all the AMG mods will be eye watering expensive to replace.

The SL60 has ballpark 100bhp more than an SL500 so that is an increase of about 30%. That is a fair bit and you can certainly tell the difference between an SL500 and SL60 to drive. If there was no difference in performance as the road limits this there is no point in having anything more than a Focus. I would have an SL60 over an SL500 every day of the week. it is just a case of how much more it costs and how much you can justify. To me £25k extra like for like is ridiculous.

An SL60 is not about being 'bigger than yours' at all. It is rare and has something special about it. Most people who want something 'bigger than yours' will want to advertise the fact so for all to see. To the untrained eye your average joe would have no idea of the difference between the SL500 & SL60.

IMHO the SL60 is the sweet-spot with the lighter V8 upfront. The V12 SL70 & SL73's must have too much power/torque for the chassis and too much weight upfront I would suggest.

I agree, I think it's on the high side. But prices are funny at the moment and, despite the similarities to the 500 or 600, it looks like normal 'rules' don't apply

I've got an SL60 and have also owned, during the last 24 months, R129 versions of the 500 and 600 (and an R230 SL55). Of all of them the SL60 feels the most 'special', and I'm trying not to let confirmation bias influence me. But it's the one I chose to keep and not merely because of 'investment' value, which will always increase far more slowly than an equivalent era Porsche, for instance.

I agree and have the same cars as you by the look of it short of the SL600....brave man ;)

However I sold the first SL500, the SL55 and the SL60 as well but wish I had kept the SL60. If my circumstances were different then I would have still had it. The SL60 is the same as my 4200 & QP as they are all not quite the best cars in their class I would suggest. Although are all very good.

However there is something about all that makes them a little 'different' and 'special'. You can never really describe it and it doesn't seem to make logical sense or be quantifiable. You just 'feel' it.

Last edited:
I agree the SL600 is a lovely thing but not sure it is worth double a similar SL500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom