SL65 exhaust pop - good or bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

u brain

Car
SL65, SLK350
I recently had the 'other' coil pack replaced before which the exhaust was definitely popping too much and even backfired a couple of times.
However, although greatly reduced now, as I take my foot off the gas, the exhaust still pops quite a bit.

Now personally, I think it sounds quite cool - in fact I was driving a Jag F-type recently that had clearly been engineered to create a similar sound deliberately.
But... should this be happening or is it a sign that the engine needs a bit of a tune (or something)?

Great to meet you today.

Don't worry about the pops. All part of the 65 experience.

Excellent... like I said, I do rather like the sound - I like it even more now I don't have to worry about it ;)

...and likewise, it was both entertaining and educational to visit your workshop yesterday: thanks!

My CL65 pops quite a bit too and as you I actually like it too :)

I just thought that was normal and never really worried about it!

Well I didn't worry about it initially: I thought it was rather cool.
Then it actually back-fired a couple of times and soon after that it dropped into engine management mode. It showed mis-fires on all cylinders 1-6 suggesting strongly it was requiring a coil pack replacement.
That done, I was hoping the subsequent popping wasn't a sign of something else wrong but it appears that I am free to enjoy it now :bannana:

Last edited:
A burble on overrun is pretty normal for 65, my S used to do it a lot when I backed off the throttle. Lovely, lovely engine miss mine loads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom