SLK 200 water behind fuel cap cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ducieoldboy

Car
SLK200 R170 2001
I have an SLK 200 and water is accumulating behind the fuel filler cap cover. There appears to be a drain hole through a rubber grommet which I have tried poking an electricians fish wire down but without success. Has anyone had this problem and if so do you have any suggestions for clearing it out please?

Had the same on our 171 SLK. Poked it with some wire and it all drained away no problem.

Thanks GP801 and Trickythemerc. I will persevere and see how I go on. I wondered whether it is possible to work from the exit end of the drain tube but I am not sure where that exits underneath.

It probably exits behind the wheel arch liner. I used a long cable tie to clear the drains on the windscreen scuttle panel, if you need something longer a length of curtain wire might be the thing to use.

Curtain wire sounds like a good idea. I am a bit nervous about using a coat hanger as I may puncture the rubber drain tube with the sharp edges. Thanks. I'll see how I get on.

Sounds like the drain hole has some kind of blockage - maybe try giving it a blast with an airline if you have access to one?

DB

I took the SLK to a local MB Garage yesterday and they tried giving the drain hole a blast with a Jet spray but it didn't fix the problem. They also tried a flexi cable (like a curtain wire) but again, they couldn't get this to unblock the drain. I have booked it in with them so they can remove the panelling and try and get to the drain tube and unblock it that way. I will post back the result after its been in (not until 5th May).
Thanks for all suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom