SLK CDI 250 AMG First Impressions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay9SLK

Car
SLK 250 AMG CDI
Hey Guys

Well I finally took delivery of the SLK yesterday, I've only done about 40 miles but here are my first impressions.

Great looking and it really turns heads.

Performance is good but the engine feels tight and need to be run in, couple that with the fact I'm getting used to the size, it's a day old and the tires and brakes need to bed down and you'll forgive me for not driving it to the max, in fact I've been a bit 'Miss Daisy' about it to be honest. I did kick it over a short stretch of dual carriageway this morning and it felt good. But I've only been driving in ECO mode not Sport or manual.

Not sure if it's driving in ECO mode or me not being used to automatics but there's a slight lag between asking for power and getting it. I've driven SAAB's with big turbos for years and understand turbo lag but this is a little more pronounced, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now, let it run in and use Sport/Manual before commenting further.

Suspension is firm but not as hard as my old Z4 3.0 and comparable, if not better that my GF's MK5 Golf GTi. I can definitely live with it.

Direct steering feels good but I've not really had chance to push the car and it's only during a spirited drive do you need that feedback, I'll report back on this as some reviews suggest the steering is numb.

Engine noise, this is the big one for a lot of people. It sounds like a diesel when starting cold and driving around town, the engine noise does intrude in to the cabin when the stereo is off, so if you like listening to the engine rather than your music get the 350. I spec'd the H/K Logic 7 as I prefer to have my music at a decent level when driving, this was a good choice as it sounds fantastic and leaves the clatter of the diesel engine to those outside. Still ECO stop/start sorts that out when you stop.

ECO S/S can be annoying at times but I'll get used to it or switch it of in those situations, not a big deal.

iPhone connector kit is well worth it, I get to browse my albums and artists as i would on the phone, I also get album are work on the display, tarty but I like that sort of stuff. Bluetooth connection just plays the music as one long play list. Bluetooth on the Phone hands free is great I don't do anything just get in the car with my phone in my pocket and it connects, that's how technology should be. A mate call last night whilst I was driving and he thought I was at home, so good quality there.

Look like Mercedes have ditched the metal roof altogether in 2013 as mine has arrive with a panoramic vario but with a plastic cover on the inside roof lining. This kind of makes sense to me as it means MB only have to have one roof panel manufactured then fit either a magic sky or a permanent roof liner. I'd also heard about rattles and leaks from the roof on other forum posts and wondered if these were only with the metal roofs, so it might be an attempt to fix those issues too?? Either way it makes the car look better from the outside and reduces weight as the glass roof is supposed to be a lot weighty. I wonder if you could remove the head liner and get a panoramic for free??

It's too early to comment on fuel economy so I'll leave that until I've covered a few thousand miles.

I wish I had more control over the car setting, things like having the daytime running lights on at night or removing the KM/H and replacing it with outside temp on the display.

Space in the cabin is good and doesn't feel cramped and the feeling of quality is ever present.

On a happiness scale of 1 to 10, I'd say 8

Cheers

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom