Slk m25 1.5.16

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well to be honest if he had stuck his footdown got the overtake done and pulled back in to the correct lane all would be fine! Sympathy for the truck driver from me i am afraid!
Having driven a truck for a number of years blind spots do exist! with nothing in front of the truck in the overtaking lane i would think the truck driver would feel safe to pull out seeing nothing in the drivers side mirror indication was made and manoeuvre completed! The car took too long to overtake stuck in the trucks blindspot!

Tony.

Last edited:
that would have been scary,whilst the slk looked to be dawdling along as it passed the lorry the fault lies with the lorry driver

I can't see if the truck was UK or Foreign, I guess it was LHD and the driver simply unable to see the car.

No question it was the trucks fault.

While I agree the SLK wasn't being driven with consideration for other road users, because it should have passed the lorry rather than stay beside it for quite some time, the bottom line in my opinion is the lorry moved out into the side of the car. Whether the car should have been there in the first place is irrelevant, the fact is it was there and the lorry driver should have acted accordingly.

The SLK did nothing to show any awareness of what what happening in front of him and the likely result.

Lorry fast approaching a car in front is likely to pull out to overtake and oh look 'I'm driving a little car in his blind spot, what could go wrong?"

Only an idiot spends longer than they have to overtaking a truck. The reason why is in the video clip.

I wondered if there were variable speed cameras in force but the gantry signs looked to be off.

If they were in place you often see very slow overtakes, or no progress at all if all lanes of traffic are travelling at the same speed. This is particularly the case where the cameras are set at 50mph or below as trucks an keep up.

As far as blame, the car could have completed the manoeuvre quicker but that doesn't let the truck driver off the hook, he is the one changing lane and the onus is on him to make sure that it is appropriate to do so. Most trucks have those mirrors above the door just for this purpose.

I wondered if there were variable speed cameras in force but the gantry signs looked to be off.

If they were in place you often see very slow overtakes, or no progress at all if all lanes of traffic are travelling at the same speed. This is particularly the case where the cameras are set at 50mph or below as trucks an keep up.

As far as blame, the car could have completed the manoeuvre quicker but that doesn't let the truck driver off the hook, he is the one changing lane and the onus is on him to make sure that it is appropriate to do so. Most trucks have those mirrors above the door just for this purpose.

They are Kerb mirrors and on a right hand drive truck would be on the nearside/Kerbside no help with an offside blindspot!

Tony.

They are Kerb mirrors and on a right hand drive truck would be on the nearside/Kerbside no help with an offside blindspot!

Tony.

I think that this truck is foreign owned and LHD.

If it's RHD the SLK would have pretty easy to spot surely?

I make no comment on fault but I should imagine it was a complete brown trouser moment being pushed sideways for such a distance !

Even with cameras in operation, there is usually sufficient space between gantries to complete the overtake manoeuvre and return to the speed limit.

Definitely the truck's fault - but the car driver could have anticipated being in the blind spot as well as observing the truck getting closer to the vehicle in front of it.

Being in the right is no guarantee of invulnerability.

Even with cameras in operation, there is usually sufficient space between gantries to complete the overtake manoeuvre and return to the speed limit

Not so sure about that bit.

I can't believe the people here saying the SLK took too long to overtake. It was travelling at the speed it wanted, in the second lane with two lanes available outside it for other vehicles. The videoing car was travelling at the same speed in the same lane. Yes, the SLK should have been in the inside lane for some of the time shown in the video. But it was in the second lane for plenty time to be seen by the lorry driver, had that driver started to check his mirrors as it saw it was slowly catching the vehicle in front. The lorry driver had plenty time to observe that the SLK was slowly approaching in the next lane so could have started indicating its intentions earlier. But instead he did as most lorry drivers do and flicked on his indicators very shortly followed by turning the steering. Ideally the SLK could have seen that the lorry was getting closer to the other vehicle on the inside lane and moved out to the next lane (if free, which it wasn't) or adjusted his speed just in case. But it wasn't essential. There's absolutely no way the SLK can take any of the blame. The lorry driver would know about his blind spot and should make regular checks well in advance to ensure that it was safe to change lanes.

I can't believe the people here saying the SLK took too long to overtake. It was travelling at the speed it wanted, in the second lane with two lanes available outside it for other vehicles. The videoing car was travelling at the same speed in the same lane. Yes, the SLK should have been in the inside lane for some of the time shown in the video. But it was in the second lane for plenty time to be seen by the lorry driver, had that driver started to check his mirrors as it saw it was slowly catching the vehicle in front. The lorry driver had plenty time to observe that the SLK was slowly approaching in the next lane so could have started indicating its intentions earlier. But instead he did as most lorry drivers do and flicked on his indicators very shortly followed by turning the steering. Ideally the SLK could have seen that the lorry was getting closer to the other vehicle on the inside lane and moved out to the next lane (if free, which it wasn't) or adjusted his speed just in case. But it wasn't essential. There's absolutely no way the SLK can take any of the blame. The lorry driver would know about his blind spot and should make regular checks well in advance to ensure that it was safe to change lanes.

Defensive driving, it's what you do to account for the other idiots on the road. The SLK didn't do any.

No good being right and dead.

Defensive driving, it's what you do to account for the other idiots on the road. The SLK didn't do any.

No good being right and dead.

As it happens I do practice defensive driving.

However, it's not much good being wrong and alive either. :D

That must have been scary!

In typical fashion the camera car driver wasn't going to stop and offer a witness until his mate piped up!

Tosser

I bet that the overtake happened by accident. The SLK driver normally drives at 60 mph just in the 2nd lane while drifting from side to side.

As it happens I do practice defensive driving.

However, it's not much good being wrong and alive either. :D

That will be the " I drive past the police and VOSA vehicles at 80" defensive driving then will it? :fail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom