SLK trouble alarm and blinkers staying on R170

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Noggie

Car
CLK 230K & SLK 230K
My SLK started sounding the alarm without any reason, and kept going off almost as soon as I reset it. Then I took the car for a trip and after 15 min the horn sounded shortly a few times. I then parked and the blinker on one side stayed on. I disconnected the battery and the fault one side blinkers kept staying on. After this sometimes no blinker on and other times all four blinkers on.
When I blink to one side it will blink even if the opposite side is on. Also at same side I think. The emergency lights (Hazard) will only keep on, not blink. If no blink light stays on, Hazard Works as it should.

I read some said it could be the battery at the siren. I guess it could be more complicated.
Any thoughts, guys?

Unplug the alarm siren, if that solves the other faults then replace the siren with a new one from an MB dealer, the cost around £100. The car will function without it but you will have no theft insurance cover.

Dec

I have tried to unplug the siren, but cannot get the wiper arms off.
The nuts are off, but the arms sits tight. I have tried with thin oil and worked the arms.
Applied oil, let it rest, worked the arms, applied oil, and so on.

In the mean time, the alarm has stopped sounding. But I still have som irregularities with the blinkers from time to time. And the central locking has stopped working.

Because of these problems I have unplugged the battery after driving.
The worst, today - the horn started sounding, when I plugged the battery. The car had been standing for a few days.

Any advice?

I cannot find the horn and unplug it. Does anyone knows where the horn is?

(The horn sounds permanent, I still tried to start the car, and the horn kept on.

I removed the earth on the battery and the car kept running with the horn on. Strange?

When I turned off the ignition, the engine stopped.)

Last edited:
Yes, it seems to be something serious. Thanks, again, Dec!

The car starts OK, have not had problems with that.
I am just asking here: doesn't the K40 relay have to do with the start?

Regarding my other car:
My 230K CLK now just clicks - perhaps the K40 (if not starter)? (no cranking)
Just sent it to an independant workshop, hopefully they will sort it.

Does anyone know where the horn is on the SLK R170?
If I can unplug it, I can use the car and now it is the only car I can use.

Last edited:
There should be a fuse for the horn somewhere.
It’s the the multifunction relay unit that is to do with the indicators, see… SLK Indicator lights staying on - Possible fix - Mercedes-Benz Forum

There is also 5 relays, horn is mentioned below., worth looking at anyway.
See… Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 K40 Overload Protection Relay Repair | 1998-2004 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Dec

Thanks a lot, Dec!

I have tried several fuses, but not found the right one.
I will check these links.

Might be one of these, 5 relays = 5 fuses?

Dec
pic05.jpg

Might be one of these, 5 relays = 5 fuses?

Dec
pic05.jpg

Thanks a lot, Dec!

Should be these, sounds likely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom