SLK32 or 209 55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stereophoney

Car
SLK32, Clio Diesel
After selling my 208 55 last year and regretting it I'm looking to get back in a Merc. The original plan was that I'd buy another 208 coupe and keep the MGF I've got as I want a convertible. After working out the sums it'll cost me around £1600 to keep both a 55 and F insured and taxed and that's without any maintenance costs or around £1000 if I just had the 55.

Because of this I've decided it would be better to combine the 2 and buy a Merc convertible. There seem to be a lot more 209 than 208 55 convertibles, so I've decided to spend a bit more on a 209. I thought I'd decided but then I saw a SLK32 for sale and now I don't know which to go for!

Reasons for 209 over SLK32:
V8
Looks better
Better image
Less complicated engine

Any other positives or negatives for each or does anyone have an opinion on which way to go?

Won't be able to buy until August so lots of time to decide!

My only input would be that I'm not keen on early 209s - the pre-facelift ones. They rust and have more electrical/mechanical headaches than a 208 IMHO. The later ones are much better - a facelifted 209 CLK55 would be a nice car.

208 '55 cabriolets aren't just rare, they've very very rare. I don't think there was ever a proper UK price list for them - sort of built to order as I understand it on a CLK430 cabriolet base.

SLK is only a 2 seater.

How about an SL? A nice R129 could be in budget - very well built and unlikely to lose anything in depreciation.

Plenty of performance bargains out there at the moment :cool:

My only input would be that I'm not keen on early 209s - the pre-facelift ones. They rust and have more electrical/mechanical headaches than a 208 IMHO. The later ones are much better - a facelifted 209 CLK55 would be a nice car.

208 '55 cabriolets aren't just rare, they've very very rare. I don't think there was ever a proper UK price list for them - sort of built to order as I understand it on a CLK430 cabriolet base.

SLK is only a 2 seater.

How about an SL? A nice R129 could be in budget - very well built and unlikely to lose anything in depreciation.

Plenty of performance bargains out there at the moment :cool:

Thanks. There is a 208 on ebay at the moment, but it's got a questionable mileage history so wouldn't want to touch it:

MERCEDES CLK 55 AMG CONVERTIBLE | eBay

Practicality or economy aren't really a concern, so 2 seats would suit me fine. Really love the R129's, but not sure I'd like one as my only car, though if a good one came up I might be tempted.

Thanks. There is a 208 on ebay at the moment, but it's got a questionable mileage history so wouldn't want to touch it:

MERCEDES CLK 55 AMG CONVERTIBLE | eBay

Practicality or economy aren't really a concern, so 2 seats would suit me fine. Really love the R129's, but not sure I'd like one as my only car, though if a good one came up I might be tempted.

Yeah, I saw that one a few weeks ago. Doesn't do a lot for me personally, not keen on the mis-matched resprayed panels and the colour combo of silver and grey leather doesn't work for me either.

See what I mean about being based on a 430, for some reason you don't get stuff like the stitched leather AMG airbag (just the plain plastic one from the regular CLK) etc. Agree with you about the speedo/mileage - but I'm sure someone clever with STAR could confirm as the mileage isn't just stored in the cluster AFAIK. Condition would be most important to me nowadays though if I'm honest.

I've seen 3 or possibly 4 over the years. £6500 is pretty cheap though - the cheapest one I've ever seen!

Yeah, I saw that one a few weeks ago. Doesn't do a lot for me personally, not keen on the mis-matched resprayed panels and the colour combo of silver and grey leather doesn't work for me either.

See what I mean about being based on a 430, for some reason you don't get stuff like the stitched leather AMG airbag (just the plain plastic one from the regular CLK) etc. Agree with you about the speedo/mileage - but I'm sure someone clever with STAR could confirm as the mileage isn't just stored in the cluster AFAIK. Condition would be most important to me nowadays though if I'm honest.

I've seen 3 or possibly 4 over the years. £6500 is pretty cheap though - the cheapest one I've ever seen!

You're right about the colour combo, silver on grey is not the best. Didn't notice the mis-matched panels. It does seem very cheap, and it is a wonder why it has been for sale for as long as it had. I've always found that if you put a car on at a good price it'll sell really quickly. My 55 sold within 1hr of putting it on ebay!

This is an example of what I'd like, especially the colour:

Mercedes-Benz CLK Class CLK55 AMG 5.4 V8 Auto Convertible Cabriolet Black | eBay

After pondering for a while I've decided that I'm going to go for a 32, but it's hard to know what their value is. A standard SLK320 can be had pretty cheaply and there's loads under £5k. The 32 seems to be anywhere from £5-10k. Obviously there's going to be a mark-up on the AMG due to performance and rarity, but is £10k a good investment or do they have further to go before they bottom out? The best one I can see at the moment is:

Mercedes-Benz SLK SLK32 2dr Auto 3.2

Does this represent good value?

As a warning ... several people here who have been looking for an SLK32 changed their mind after driving one. Run a few searches and you should turn up the threads.

As a warning ... several people here who have been looking for an SLK32 changed their mind after driving one. Run a few searches and you should turn up the threads.

Thanks, it does seem to polarise opinions. I'm wanting it to be a comfortable cruiser rather than a B road blaster. Only thing I'm not sure about is the supercharger as I've never had a non-n/a petrol, so power delivery is a question that only a test drive will answer.

Thanks, it does seem to polarise opinions. I'm wanting it to be a comfortable cruiser rather than a B road blaster. Only thing I'm not sure about is the supercharger as I've never had a non-n/a petrol, so power delivery is a question that only a test drive will answer.

BTB 500 is right, a test drive is important on the 32. It's not the comfortable cruiser that the CLK probably is, and is not as practicable either. But it does have a tin top if that's important.
Power delivery is not an issue, not on mine anyway, and the thing never fails to put a stupid grin on my face when the right foot is sunk into the floor.
If you can, find one for sale near you and take a test drive. It could make up your mind one way or the other.

I've got a 32 albeit in a C-class. The power delivery is superb, instant acceleration from any engine speed. It can feel a little urgent but you soon learn not to prod it too hard. I have no problem driving mine in all conditions. I'd definitely recommend trying one out.

Depends what you want from a car.

Is it going to be a weekend toy? SLK32.

Everyday car? CLK55.

Engine wise, the 32 will be faster and more fun to drive, power delivery will be better imo, the NA 55 is very lazy engine, good for crusing and sounds great.

For me I love the 32's so I'd probably go for the 32.

The 55 engine is much more reliable. It's a V8 too with a proper noise.

Thanks for the replies. There's a good argument for getting either of them.

In terms of practicality that's not a concern and 2 seats is fine for now! Parking is very tight and the SLK would certainly be easier in that respect. In my W208 I would sometimes have to do a 6 point turn to get out of the space, so having a car that's 2ft shorter would be useful. It does also mean that I'd only get a 55 with parktronic.

It would be my everyday car, but that still only really means it'll be used at the weekend as I don't need it for work, so it'll only do around 5k miles per year.

I do prefer the looks of the 55 and a v8 is far more appealing, but there's something about the 32 which is drawing me towards it. I will have to test drive one before taking the plunge. Hopefully one will come up nearby.

Last Friday I picked up an SLK32 and really glad I did. Loving it so far! Took it to PCS the same day for ATF & diff oil change. Great service from them. Then took it to Goodwood and had a nice 250 mile drive back mostly in the rain with the roof down. Stopped at the services and saw a lovely black 32. Mine's the silver one!

WP_20140629_001_zps8d61b8fc.jpg

looks nice and a great value car - I thought bout all options on AMG before taking the plunge and at the end of the day mine is the only one I have ever driven!

Great cars very discreet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom