Sluggish automatic transmission

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stardelta

Car
Mercedes c220 cdi brabus estate
Hi everyone...I have not long acquired a 2008 Mercedes c220 cdi sport estate auto (5 speed) and really like the cars dynamics and road holding, but am finding the auto box rather sluggish and this is really ruining what should be a great drive, was thinking about a remap but am unsure if this would help, would I be better of with a fluid change on the gearbox, it was done at 30000 and now the car has covered 70000 or is this something I will have to put up with, would be great if someone could offer some assistance and experiences of this car, just would like the gearbox to be a bit more fluid...regards

As previously mentioned try the oil and filter change, unless you have evidence that it has been changed.

Good luck and hope it's an easy fix.

Thanks for the reply, really at a point where I really don't like the drive, never had this problem with any other cars, maybe a software update from Mercedes may fix it

I noticed you are based in Middlesex, a really good Indy is Wayne Gates in Harrow. I've not used them yet but they come highly recommended in this forum.

Thanks for that, will give them a ring

Stupid question. Is it in s or c mode? Have you tried holding the gears 'down' whilst 'spirited' driving and see hownit is afterwards? Previous owner might have been a miss daisy type and the box has learnt to be squishy for that driver.

or just drive it like ya stole it for a few miles. Then see.....?

RE: 'Thanks for the reply, really at a point where I really don't like the drive, never had this problem with any other cars, maybe a software update from Mercedes may fix it '

I had my G7 gearbox's software upgraded and it helped my car, its a lot smoother now.
But, Mercedes will charge £120 for this, its not covered under warranty either.
:eek:

The old 5 speed box, whilst virtually indestructible, is rather dim witted by modern standards. Try a gearbox reset to clear the adaptive settings and then drive it like you stole it for a couple of days.

The reset procedure may vary but on mine it is turn the ignition on, accelerator to the floor past kick down and hold it there for at least 15 seconds, turn ignition off, wait 3 minutes. Most important that during the last part you do not open the doors, windows radio or anything electrical.

Also, there is the infamous issue known as 'delay after accelerating' (which should actually read 'delay before acceleration'), where you put your foot down harshly on the accelerator and counter-intuitively everything goes very quiet and not much happens for about 2 seconds, before the car suddenly surges forward with a mighty roar.

This is another characteristic of the 5-gang 'box. Which, as SLKNick said, is otherwise indestructible.

But to resolve this you will need to tinker with the TCU software I think.

Last edited:
My G7 gearbox also does this (on my 2011 C180), I had Mercedes update the software and check the car for errors but they tell me everything is OK? Saying that the software upgrade did help a little.

The old 5 speed box, whilst virtually indestructible, is rather dim witted by modern standards.

It's dim witted compared to old boxes from other manufacturers let alone modern ones but if you take people's word for it over it's strength you won't think it's about to break every time something odd happens.

Re Markjay's comment, that's why knocking it down a couple manually before overtaking aggressively is much more satisfying than waiting to see what it's going to do.

What happens when you 'tip' the shift?? Some owners are so bone they don't realize you can change by tapping left (down the box) or right (higher)...and unless you do that the box wont learn your style? Hence the stupid answers above mine.

Nothing, it ignores manual inputs such as kickdown and tip during the learning phase. It looks principally at how aggresively you use the throttle. If you drive it hard it "learns" to sharpen up the throttle response and hang onto the gears for longer at the cost of economy and smoothness. If you drive it slowly it will learn to be smooth and sluggish.

Many thanks for all the tips and advice, was going to get it remapped or add a reputable tuning box to try and smooth things out with a little extra torque.
Can anyone tell me if the gearbox will take the extra torque?

Or get the engine and gearbox serviced, ie new filters and fluid and latest software from Mercedes, presume only Mercedes can do the software and not a Indy?

Problem is if I was to get it all done I would be looking at around a grand and didn't want to spend all that amount after just spending so much buying it, so the best one first for max rewards would be nice

What makes you think there's a software upgrade? The seven speed certainly had a few but I don't know about the five.

First thing before any tune would be to make sure everything else is spot on!

Just a quick update, booked car in to Wayne Gates for a service and automatic transmission oil and filter change, and what a difference, smoother gear changes, quieter engine due to oil and filter change and on top of that a great service from them, if you're near Harrow and require any work done go there, they really are top notch!!

Big thanks to b-boy for the heads up on Wayne Gates!!

Big thanks to b-boy for the heads up on Wayne Gates!!

I'm really pleased its worked out for you mate and another thumbs up for Wayne Gates with their excellent service .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom