Small car for the wife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A250 Bennyboy

Car
A Class A250 w176
Hiya all I'm after a small car for the wife who has a £8000 budget.
Been looking through auto trader for the last 3 days and think I've narrowed it down to a Corsa, Polo, C3,or a fiesta.

Can anyone recommend any others I should consider ie any of the Japanese ones not had any experience with jap cars.

She only uses her car for work and shopping probably only doing 2500 miles per annual.

Out of the four cars I've listed what should I look out for when we test drive them.

Going test drive a Corsa and a Polo tomorrow.

They have two Polo's in one diesel and the other petrol, with the wife only doing a few miles a year I'm thinking the petrol car.
Diesel being 1.2 and the petrol 1.4

They also have two Corsa's in as well one is auto both petrol, my question is the auto any good.

Both cars are 1.4

Anyways thanks for any help and advice or tips and what to look out for :D

Cheers Ben:thumb:

Petrol POLO everytime Benny.

Good strong car with brilliant quality which you will appreciate. it will hold its value the best too.

Of the four you mentioned the Fiesta would be my choice as the others dont really do it , for me, on looks alone.

What about the new shape Clio , good looking wee car and cheap tax , ins etc.

If you get the Dynamique Nav it is pretty well spec`d and £8k should get you one with a couple of years manufacturers warranty remaining as Renault have a four year warranty from new.

Kenny

The list is endless although Grober's Mazda would be a good choice.

Forget anything French. Despite their NCap ratings they are tin-can junk.

MAZDA 2 often overlooked.
[YOUTUBE]Ka2-0h3Mr_U[/YOUTUBE]

The cars on the original list are rubbish.
The Mazda2 is the best by far and has a conventional and superb torque convertor automatic gearbox.My wife wouldn`t swap hers for anything else.

Regards
John

Mazda is a great car but the POLO is imo the best car on the list.

Unless you fancy a 500 Abarth!!!!

The list goes from the dull to the dullest of cars in the sector :(

But I guess if that is the sort of car you are looking for then I'd take the Mazda 2 out of all of them.

Fiat 500 starts to get into a car with some character. One of the reasons we bought an Alfa Romeo Mito, which has actually proven to be far more reliable and better built than any of the Polo's or Fiesta's that are in the wider family.

Benny, you know she'd be most happy with a silver A250 with lots of little mods?

Go on matey, do it. :thumb:

Ant. :D

I'd look at a Fiat 500. Great to look at, fun to drive especially if you go for one of the twin air models. Cheap as chips to insure and £0 road tax!

I'd look at a Fiat 500. Great to look at, fun to drive especially if you go for one of the twin air models. Cheap as chips to insure and £0 road tax!

don't Fiat 500's have trouble going up hills?

The 1.2s are a bit asthmatic but I have the twinair engine in my Ypsilon and it's more than capable of keeping up with motorway traffic.

Cheers,

gaz

flowrider99 said:

Not the twin air, it's a hoot! Especially the 100 bhp version!

Small car for the wife....seems like a fair swap :D

Keep the £8k in the bank and lease a new Smart for £89 a month.

I have one and it's vastly better than the previous one.

Thanks guys for all replys much appreciated.
You've gave me a lot to look through and thanks for the recommendation.

The Mazda is well worth considering but the wife not struck on its look, but the clio has taken her fancy

The garage we are going test drive the Polo has also got a clio so going take this out as well.

I'm after her falling for the Polo but she's not struck on that one as well ?? WHAT

Cheers Ben

The garage we are going test drive the Polo has also got a Clio so going take this out as well

The 0.9L turbo petrol engine needs to be worked to get a move on but it performs quite well in the Clio (less so in the Captur) , not too much room in the rear depending on the drivers and rear passengers dimensions.

The rear space was the only reason we never bought one for the wife a few weeks back as sometimes we take both the mothers out and there was no way they could have negotiated getting in / out the limited space.

Loads for sale so take your time with your search and , as always , get the best spec`d one you can as the poverty spec Clio is a bit cheap and not so cheerful inside.

Kenny

I've had good experiences with and would buy again, both Mazda (older) and Fiesta (newer).

Just a wild card but if she's doesn't need back seats get her an MX5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom