Smartnav??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
I looking into Smartnav as I cant face fitting command to a w202! (I'm not as brave as Shude!)

Has anyone got it fitted, what do you think of it, what options did you get with the package, anything else I need to know??

.........oh and where did they fit "The Button"? (Photo?)

Thanks in advance! :)

A mate of mine has had it fitted for a couple of years in his W210 E280 Estate.

Seems to work well apart from no screen (can now purchase seperatley) so it can get a bit confusing on roundabouts sometimes.

Best bit is when you call them (push the button) and they say hello 'your name' and where would you like to go today :D

Also re-routing around traffice works quite well.

The only problem is the on-going costs to run it, I prefer my Pioneer AVIC-X1 as smartnav does not play cd/dvd's and has no screen!

Last edited:
I have read some great reports and feel inclined to proceed because of the ability to do rerouting if there ia traffic jam. I also like the tracker and speed camera options! Has any one else on here already got smartnav??

Don't forget a HU with TMC (like the AVIC-X1/R) also re-routes around traffice as it is updated via the radio. :cool:

A few years ago I would not have hesitated in Smartnav because of the low cost (was around £600 then?) but now with the costs of Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood ect HU's with fold out screen systems & DVD falling rapidly and no ongoing costs (apart from discs every few years) I would strongly suggest a trip to your local car audio shop to check out all the systems available for your hard earnt cash. ;)

Has any one else used Smartnav??

R2D2 said:
I looking into Smartnav as I cant face fitting command to a w202! (I'm not as brave as Shude!)

Has anyone got it fitted, what do you think of it, what options did you get with the package, anything else I need to know??

.........oh and where did they fit "The Button"? (Photo?)

Thanks in advance! :)

Just get the W202 nav .... Steve does good work.

blicky_1 said:
I prefer my Pioneer AVIC-X1 as smartnav does not play cd/dvd's and has no screen!

We've got one of these in the Citroen.

Brilliant piece of kit, and worth the extra over one of the smaller portable sat navs. Excellent TMC info., DVD player, etc., etc. Works better, quicker than the COMAND in my C270.

I've got Sat Nav in car. I've also just upgraded my phone to an SDA II.(FOC) through T-Mobile that included BLuetooth GPS + Co-pilot software. It does loads of things including traffic alerts etc...

Do in-dash systems like the AVIC-X1 have the ability to import a POI database e.g. "safety camera" locations?

jeremytaylor said:
We've got one of these in the Citroen.

Brilliant piece of kit, and worth the extra over one of the smaller portable sat navs. Excellent TMC info., DVD player, etc., etc. Works better, quicker than the COMAND in my C270.

Now thats interesting feedback! I am hearing a lot of good reports from those who've actually used it. I like not having anymore clutter and not having to input destinations to it!

BTB 500 said:
Do in-dash systems like the AVIC-X1 have the ability to import a POI database e.g. "safety camera" locations?

No, you'll still need your Road Angel.

The screen folds away and it then looks very plain. There is also a small removable face panel for security which disables the whole thing.

R2D2 said:
Now thats interesting feedback! I am hearing a lot of good reports from those who've actually used it. I like not having anymore clutter and not having to input destinations to it!

You can use it in a passive map mode, but if you want directions you have to input destinations. It saves all these in the memory. Being DVD based it is very quick.

Don't know what their TMC licence arrangements are but they work very well. You can have traffic problems listed on-screen.

Now I'm confused because Smartnav doesnt come with DVD playing ability. Its a hidden box that talks to the traffic master centre?? Are we talking about the same thing here?

No. Smartnav (by trafficmaster) is not the same as the Pioneer AVIC-X1.

Smartnav has no screen, so is (probably) more confusing, just having voice prompts. I think a screen is now available for this though.

Pioneer works like COMAND satnav but better. Personally speaking, I think a map is essential as, no matter how good the database, there will always be changes to the road layout, etc. Having a map to 'see' where the route is taking you removes any doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom